Consensus?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

I hate to fuel an arguement, but the man does in fact have a point!!
why do i get the feeling this is one of those Citroen 'oh no we've made another foul up, lets change the manual say its always been like that and deny we ever saw the original manual'. Think this may be connected to Catalins problem, if only you had read the proper manual and not the original fraud [:D]
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Vanny,
How do you do that? (Include a picture I mean??)
By the way Alexx - I tried to send you an e-mail of the picture but it didn't work. I think your address in your profile is wrong should it be sl at the end not si??
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

So, anyone got a GS, CX, or XM manual?
Were there different versions of the indicator or did Citroen cock up somewhere along the way?
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

I thought I'd already posted this but can't see it. Here is part of a scanned image from the Cit workshop manual
http://www.rwbsmith.plus.com/citroen2/L ... 0level.gif
Shows quite clearly the top hat as the marker. I am also aware that the driver's books show 2 conflicting pictures.
Bob
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Unfortunatley,the image referred to shows and empty reservior. It also seems to show that it would be impossible for the top hat marker to ever fall below minimum, which would suggest that it must be the lower disk that is used as the marker.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by algieuk</i>
it would be impossible for the top hat marker to ever fall below minimum, which would suggest that it must be the lower disk that is used as the marker.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not at all! If the top hat marker fell just a tiny bit more, the lower disc would close the contacts and bring on the warning light.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Phil,
My e-mail address is correct, but it is my alternative address on a public server, I didn't check it for quite a time, so maybe they cancelled me in the meantime. I'll try to find out.
Anyway, I was joking a little in my previous posts. For me, it's quite unimportant whether upper or lower disc is the right one. In normal driving position, LHM level is 8-9 cm below the filler neck (on my BX), and 1 cm up or down makes no difference for me. Once, I had a problem with a leaking pipe between regulator and flow distributor. I lost about 2 l of LHM returning home (upper disc dropped well below minimum), but suspension and brakes were still working normally.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Sorry chaps but I have to say that I find it unnerving that something as basic as this has caused so much debate. Before you all lambast me yes I know that that is the point of a forum.
Anyway my 1986 bx19 trs had a yellow top disc/hat, my 1992 bx tzd estate has a yellow top hat/disc and my 1998 xantia has an orange top hat/disc. But whatever the colour it is the top component that indicates the level and it should be between the two lines with the engine idling and the car stabilised on level ground in the high position.
Incidentally I was once told by a service person at a main dealers in Cheshire that shall remain nameless that it was best practice to fill the reservoir to capacity. i think this was a marketing ploy to sell more LHM as has been said already it gets a bit messy under-bonnet when cornering.
mark_sp
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

So, Mark, how do you explain the diagram taken from my handbook (see a few posts above from Vanny)?????!! And my wife's Xantia Hdi book (W reg) has the same diagram. What do your handbooks say?? I think I'll stick with using the lower ring since it tallies near enough with AlanS finger test. Also, when I recently had a low pressure return pipe come off the bottom of the accumulator and I lost LHM and the light came on when going round corners the "hat" was towards (not below) the bottom red ring. If you use the "hat" there is a risk of having too little LHM. If you use the disc and fill to top red line it's still not overful to the extent that there is any overflow.
Anyway, it's worked for me since 1987 so I ain't going to change now!!