2003 Citroen C3 1.4 SX 5 door weird noise under bonnet

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GLOBETROTTER
My Cars:

2003 Citroen C3 1.4 SX 5 door weird noise under bonnet

Post by GLOBETROTTER »

hi all

since we had the car it's had intermittant gearbox problems (it has the 5 speed auto with manual steptronics) but it went from a problem once a month to weekly to daily. The problem was the snow light would go on and the car was stuck in 2nd gear.

Mechanics couldnt find a fault until one day the engine light went on and the car only drove at 12 mph.

We were told the sellonoids needed replacing so we had that done and the gear problem seems solved.

2 days later and the car intermittantly drives at 12mph (no response from throttle). We're now told it could be the computer or / and the throttle box.

The mechanic suggests we replace the throttle box first but i noticed a strange noise coming from under the bonnet. I've opened it and it sounds like its somewhere between the battery and the fuse box next to the battery. The sound only comes on when the car engine is running and stays on if i shut the engine off but keep the key in the first position... only stopping when i turn the keys to the full off position.

If i put the keys back to the first position the sound doesnt commence again until i turn the key one more time and start the engine.

It sounds like one of those portable fans that rotate... the noise is like 5 or six soft beets then 5 or 6 louder beats over and over again. I left the engine off so i could try and source the cause of the noise but the radiator fan wasnt spinning and after some time the noise chances to a real load knocking (like its about to explode) ... needless to say i quickly shut it off but my hunch is its not a mechanical noise but an electrical noise ???

So after quite some expense and several mechanics i have a car that has a really bad noise and drives at 12 mph.

Has anybody got any ideas please.. I'm open to suggestions and would like some help so i have some knowledge when i see yet another mechanic. I could do without buying parts and labour for fitting parts that don't need changing.

many thanks for reading

Rob
car problems galore
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

it might be an idea to get the car hooked up to a LEXIA (PSA diagnostic tool),

if you go to (Supersticky: forum for continually recurring questions.) on this forum and look at the LEXIA map, you will see which member/s ownnig LEXIA's are closest to you,

regards malcolm
GLOBETROTTER
My Cars:

Post by GLOBETROTTER »

citronut wrote:hi and welcome

it might be an idea to get the car hooked up to a LEXIA (PSA diagnostic tool),

if you go to (Supersticky: forum for continually recurring questions.) on this forum and look at the LEXIA map, you will see which member/s ownnig LEXIA's are closest to you,

regards malcolm
Thanks Malcolm. The nearest is Kent or London which might be too far at 12 mph :o

i checked ebay and am considering buying a lexia to use at home. are the machines all the same or should i look for a particular model.

best wishes
Rob
car problems galore