Berlingo clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Berlingo clutch

Post by Jon »

Did a clutch with my neighbour on his Berlingo van last weekend.
Its the old XUD engine with a BE3 box. Clutch replaced due to breakup of release bearing! [:(]
All went well, but clutch bites far too low, and its difficult to get reverse.
There is no means of adjustment on the cable, its the auto adjust type. Would it be possible that the auto adjuster has become too stretched and the only way around this is to try a new cable?
Anyone had this before on Berlingo/Xsara, 306 etc etc that use the same system?
[?]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Jon
Not quite sure how this works but can't you space the inner or outer cable to tighten it a bit?
I know its bodging but . . .
Jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Jon -
This is the same setup as on latest BX XUD/BE3.
I've recently replaced the clutch on such an '89 BX XUD - though it was the auxillary release arm version (older type).
The clutch kit was Valeo - and I had similar problems as to your description - the cable adjuster could simply not take up for a decent located pedal.
I had to modify the intermediate rod - replacing it with a cutted/shaped bolt - longer than the original.
Y's ago I had a similar problem on my CX (also Valeo clutch kit !).
On the CX the release/cable setup resembles the later BX setup - having adjustable thread on the cable end.
Here I had to fit a spacer on the cable bracket - to get the adjuster within range.
On my present '89 BX16 - there allready IS a modification fitted ! - from previous owner/garage. This mod is a DIY cable spacer made from the rigid plastic water piping used for high pressure/temp - the kind used for floor heating. These pipes are easy to hacksaw and slit - to make a slide over spacer. My bet this clutch is also a Valeo kit [:(]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yes Anders, it is a Valeo that I fitted. The one that came out was a LUK.
Will try and space out the cable and see if I can make any improvment, this weekend.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Is it anything like the xantia inline auto adjuster (half way along the cable) if so the pedal has to return to maximum height under its own spring pressure and stay there, or the adjuster won't work.
Dave