On the subject of cooling.......

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linegeist
My Cars:

On the subject of cooling.......

Post by Linegeist »

...we're having a heatwave over here! Despite this, the temp gauge in the 1.9 BXGT doesn't seem to do very much.....well, nothing actually! [xx(]
It deflects OK on switching on to indicate oil level, and then drops to zero after a few seconds. I understand this is correct, however, I'm at a loss to understand where its primary feed comes from to indicate coolant temperature.
There are 2 temp switches behind the distributor - and I'm led to believe these operate the sequential overheat warning lights. The haynes manual talks of a sender of some kind on the front of the engine - but I'm blowed if I can find it.
Given the heat we're experiencing, I'm reluctant to undertake any decent runs until I can monitor what's happening under the bonnet. Can anybody shed any light on this for me, please?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

BC -
This gauge only indicates oil level at start - before oilsump is disturbed by the oil pump.
On later GTI (& 16V) models - this gauge indicates oil pressure during drive.
On some GTI's (market dependent) you have a separate gauge for the coolant temp. It appears that this analogue sensor takes the place of the early warning sensor switch of the 2 found behind the distributor.
The wire for each sensor is identified as :
Emergency temp warning switch : green wire - yellow marker - yellow connector.
Temp gauge sensor : green wire - grey marker - grey connector.
To test the cabling from sensor to gauge/warning light - simply unplug connector from sensor - then connect to chassis. Then the gauge should deflect full scale - and the red warning be lit.
To quick test the sensors :
The warning switch should be disrupted at normal (or cold) engine temp. Further testing requires it being removed and heated above 112deg celcius - then it should be closed.
The gauge sensor have a varying resistance to chassis - according to engine temp.
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Thank you Anders. So..........
I have a 1.9GT - not a GTi, therefore the guage only deflects on initial power-on to show oil level then. Hmmm, OK! [:(]
My logic then is, if I connect an ordinary temperature variable sender (as fitted to more humble vehicles) can I not utilise this gauge to give me information about engine temp during driving [?] I understand it won't be accurate - but surely better than 2 lights which tell you, "Hey Boss, it's too late, you just overheated!!!!" [:D][:D]
If I can't do this, can anybody recommend an aftermarket gauge that can be easily fitted - preferably the fluid sender type rather than electric?
Thanks for the reply Anders - really appreciated. [:)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Linegeist -
If you're concerned about your engine temp - I recommand much simpler tasks than the bugger work of fitting an extra temp gauge in your car.
It's NO problem at all to find a sender & gauge working together as non-original aftermaket parts - most car equipment shops in fact have several alternatives to accomodate your personal taste. The sender unit can allways be delivered in the most common sizes - to fit the hole in your existing engine - removing the emergency (high) warning switch (keep your early warning sensor switch !).
However I recommand you simply fit a small & cheap beeper (buzzer) in parallel with the warning lights - it's simple to do - and the buzzer sound is MUCH more alerting than the lamp [^]
Next thing you should do - is simply to flush your cooling system with tap water.
Then finally test your cooling fan(s) is working as intended - while engine is running idle.
Added :
Just read over your last submission again - you're asking if the oil gauge could be used as a temp gauge.
Initially my answer is yes - everything is possible [:)][^]
- but putting this to reality is a totally different matter [B)]
You must be a wizzard in electronics DIY to modify the oil gauge for this. The oil level gauge is connected to an electronic device, so you have to do some fiddling - tracing down how the gauge is in fact working. Then it MAY be possible - by way of a couple of diodes - to connect the sender unit (& a range calibrating resistor) to the gauge.
Have not tried this - and not yet seen such a modification on the web.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Linegeist - apart from Anders' helpful suggestions, if you feel you must fit a temp gauge, I think your fellow GT owner Catalin has already been there with this one. [:)] See the bottom of the page at
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/coo ... oling.html
for his contribution.
Myself, I'd look for a scrapyard GTi/16v (if such things can be found in France economically) with a modular VEGLIA dashboard (not the unitary Jaeger as fitted to earlier cars). You could then use its sensor and box up the temp gauge from this to avoid recalibrating. Might spoil the Lego purity if bolted-on somewhere, but might save a lot of money too some time.
However, there might be a wiring complication as Revue technique suggests the flashing "boiling" and steady "already boiled" indications are combined into the one light for a GT dash.
David