Xantia Height corrector needs correcting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

redzzed
My Cars:

Xantia Height corrector needs correcting

Post by redzzed »

Xantia 1.9 td sx 1997 R reg
Since going over a speed bump a while ago i have been getting a sometimes bumpy ride .Currently my front suspension is high , i can lower it to the lowest position , but it goes back not to the normal ride position but high .
Previously i had managed to set it to high/low and this fixed the issue.

I suspect my front height corrector .It is rigid at the front .

Is there an easy fix and if not can they be serviced/repaired or do they get replaced , how much is that likely to be pls ??
i'm not particularly mechanically minded and will probably need a garage to do it .

thx in advance . :?
current : 1997 xantia 1.9 td sx a/c
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

firstly it your front H/C dogy bone has poped off,

but before fitting a new one (2 or 3 quid from dealer) make sure the front and rear H/C linkage's/turrets are fully freed off, they should be floppy free and the only way to achive this is remove them from the car, and lubb and work them till they flop both directions,

there is loads on here with picy's if you search (hight correctors)

were abouts are you

regards malcolm
redzzed
My Cars:

height

Post by redzzed »

Thx for the reply , i'm in south oxford just now , but live in bristol.
I know a fairly reliable citroen repair place in bristol and i had better let them
check it out , i'm on a little run of bad luck and might well make things worse
if i fiddle myself .have done in the past 8-)
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Not sure about this, but you say the problem appeared after going over a speed bump. Could it simply be that the height corrector's clamp has rotated slightly on the anti-roll bar, and just needs re-adjusting (and tightening).

I suspect I had a similar problem on the rear of my TD. Never determined the exact cause, but reset the height adjuster, and ride height's been OK since then.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im 99% sure as redzzed says before this happend he had to move the hight lever the get the car at ride hight, this sugests the H/C linkage turrets are sticking/binding,

and in turn this is what causes the dogy bone to pop off, or even the metal rod attatched to the clamp on the anti roll bar to snap/shear off,

regards malcolm
redzzed
My Cars:

high low

Post by redzzed »

Thx for the replies , i have nt had the car for long and the problem first occurred after taking some speed bumps .After a few 'ups and downs'
it seemed to go back to normal.
I'm a Zx driver usually and not so used to this suspension , but i did have a bx about 12 years ago.

But this time i'm not sure what brought it on ,it may have happened after i tested it while parked at 'high' and it has stayed up.
even parked for 24 hrs like it is now the front is still high and hasn't settled .

I can lower it to 'service mode' or whatever they call it , and it goes down low , but it goes back up to 'high' when i start the car and set it to normal height .
previous cars :
1997 zx memphis td
1996 zx volcane td
1994 zx volcane td