ZX Door Ajar

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

swiss_steve
My Cars:

ZX Door Ajar

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with this one? I can't find an answer by searching the Forum.

I have door ajar indicators on the instrument panel, and one of them doesn't go out when the door is securely latched shut in a normal door closing action.

Is there a micro switch or proximity sensor somewhere on the door lock mechanism or wherever that can be adjusted - if so, where is it?

The light will go out if you slowly close/pull the door to the nearly latched/closed position, but then the door will only latch properly if you give it the usual gentle slam to engage the latch fully secure (then the light remains on).

Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks,

Steve
Proud owner of two Citroens:-
'R' reg 1998 Xantia 1.9 TD Temptation Estate.
'N' reg 1996 ZX 1.9 TD Aura Estate.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I think its part of the actual latch / catch assembly itself (206's are similar in this)

You'd need to whip the trim panel off and see if you can see the switch and if anything can be done with it. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or it could be fracktured/broken wire/s in the door shut trunking,

regards malcolm
spider

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:or it could be fracktured/broken wire/s in the door shut trunking,

regards malcolm
Do ZX's suffer with that too ? I thought only 306's did.

Then again a 306 'IS' a ZX I guess.

Its a shame in a way when they changed shape slightly they did not think to move the actual 'plug' to the a-pillar then it would be easier to fix (as you could pull the door loom out the door and do it) instead of working in a tiny hole. :)
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think all cars can suffer with this, we used to be fixing them on CX's when they started getting older, back in the 80ty's

i spoz we all start fracturing as we get older :roll:

regards malcolm
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

It's definitely not the door switch plunger that causes this door ajar light on the instrument panel to be activated. I've had that door plunger switch out, fiddled with it and checked it thoroughly and can safely rule that out. IMO, the door plunger switch only operates the internal lights.

No, it's definitely some kind of sensor or switch in the door lock area. As my car is getting on in years, the door drops a little on the hinges (there is about 2 to 3mm free play when the door is open and manually lifted on the rear of the door). I've noticed that if I gently bring the door to the closed position, then lift the door up a little on the hinges, the door ajar light goes out or starts blinking - hence my thought that a mirco-switch or prox sensor is not quite in the correct alignment position.

I haven't yet had a chance to get the door lock mechanism out to take a really close look (that's my weekend job), but was just wondering if there was anything I could go to immediately to try and diagnose the problem quickly. From memory, there are two separate electrical plugs going to this lock area on the door; one for the central locking servo and the other (maybe the micro-switch/prox sensor)?...
spider

Post by spider »

It is not the pin switch ;) the 'ajar' sensor will have to be in the catch as the pin switch is not accurate nor discriminate enough to do an ajar function.

It might be part of the latch actuator itself though, its something you will need to whip the panel off for a look.

Regarding two plugs, not sure although having two plugs might well be normal. You could unplug them then meter the contacts one at a time (resistance) then do them again with it ajar to confirm which are the ones.

Whether the ajar sensor (probably a microswitch) is available separately or not or repairable again not sure, something you need to look at to see.
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is still possible for a damaged/fractured wire in the door shut to cause your symptons, i was not referring to the door piller switch,

i was referring to the bunch of wires that go into the door in the rubber truncking,

if one of these is brocken it will cause the same effect as the micro switch in the lock mechanisum in the door open state,

regards malcolm
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Well I finally got around to taking a look at this problem again because the constant door ajar light on the instrument panel drives me nuts! :evil:

I quickly found the culprit, a mircoswitch on the base of the doorlock assy. This microswitch easily slides out of a slot and I have a feeling it may not have been in the correct place in past years as the nylon nipple on the face of the microswitch unit has worn unevenly on one side. Nevertheless, with the amount of wear visible (just visible on these photos), it's clear a replacement new microswitch unit is needed.

Photo's

Just though I'd let you all know just in case you hear of this again....

Cheers all,

Steve
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good to here you have/might ave got to the bottom of this fault,

also your photo link dont work :roll:

regards malcolm
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, I'm a dunce when it comes to trying to add photos.... :oops:
I had 5 on photobucket showing the lock assy etc, but just couldn't get it to work properly.

Anyway, as you say, I've found the answer to the problem and now need to summon up the courage to visit my local Citroen Stealer.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

swiss_steve wrote:Hi Malcolm,

Yes, I'm a dunce when it comes to trying to add photos.... :oops:
I had 5 on photobucket showing the lock assy etc, but just couldn't get it to work properly.

Anyway, as you say, I've found the answer to the problem and now need to summon up the courage to visit my local Citroën Stealer.
Looked as though you had linked to the album url - no problem with that but it won't show all pictures from a single link.
If you click on the 'photos' link it will take you to the album
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Oh yes, Isee that now; i missed that little small print under the photo....

Cheers Steve!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you post the last 8 digits of your chassis/VIN No. i will get you price and part No. from service citroen,

regards malcolm
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks very much - the last 8 digitas are: 03G50915.

Cheers,

Steve