C5 AL4 Automatic Transmission

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

120L
My Cars:

C5 AL4 Automatic Transmission

Post by 120L »

Hi

We have a early 2005 C5 (same as the 2004) and its a 2.0 litres 16V with the 4 speeed AL4 automatic transmission.

We are thinking of selling the car after hearing so many horror stories.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar car that has had this AL4 transmission fail. Also the kilometres at which it failed and how expensive repair cost were?

Any information would be greatly appreciated where about the transmission or other bits.

Regards

Alan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Alan,

Generally the AL4 is not a 'box known to fail excessively; the most common problem seems to be the failure of the pressure regulating electrovalves on the valve block. These can be replaced.

The most important thing is to ensure the fluid is changed even though the 'box is said to be sealed for life. Regular oil changes will help it live longer but you must only use the right stuff and that's Esso/Mobil LT71141. NEVER use any kind of DEXRON in it!

Or, for that matter, any oil that claims to be suitable. Unless it's LT71141 it won't be....

Note that a Lexia diagnostic machine is required to do a change, firstly to ensure the 'box is at the right temperature and secondly to reset the oil wear counter. If the counter hits over 32,000 counts the 'box drops into limp mode.

I reckon a well maintained AL4 should easily see 200K plus...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

CitroJim is totally correct in his advice- couldn't agree more as regards oil type and the importance of the oil used. I would like to add that I did have an Xantia with the AL4 Gearbox, carried out regular (25k) oil changes after purchasing at 60,000 miles. The car became deceased at just under 200K, but I had no gearbox problems. The sealed for life thing is a marketing gimmick, by manufacturers to attract fleet sales, which are normally changed at 20 t0 40K, and will give no trouble within that mileage. Never knew of an oil that lasts forever
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My car had an AL4 replacement at 97K kilometres - before my stewardship. Condition of the upper offside engine mount suggested it seized whilst moving. :shock:

Sydney's #2 main dealer replaced it with a locally rebuilt unit by an accredited firm. In the process a lot of stuff suffered in a "rip-tear-bust" approach to R&R and a reinstallation service kit (new loom ties, that sort of stuff) was not used. The software was updated.

Further, my own observations upon the experiences of others, have suggested some intrinsic quality of these local rebuilds is flawed. Mine whines noticeably even when warm, suggesting a mismatched or dinged up crownwheel and pinion set, and there is a harsh 3-2 kickdown at a specific throttle position/road speed. The rebuilt has about 85K kilometres on it now.

I stll have confidence in the AL4 however I am expecting a fairly short life out this one (<160K kilometres) - next unit will be imported from either Europe or the UK.
120L
My Cars:

Thanks

Post by 120L »

Thanks for your replies. I also spke to a couple of local mehanics who work on Citroen C5's and they said the same things. All in all it appears that the C5 is not an unreliable or problematic car.

I really appreciate your responses to my query.

Regards

Alan
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Thanks

Post by Citroenmad »

120L wrote:. All in all it appears that the C5 is not an unreliable or problematic car.

Regards

Alan
:D

Indeed they are not unreliable :) very good cars the C5s, they should be given more of a chance by many.

Stick with it, you will enjoy the car :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Make thoroughly sure that you only use only this oil (as advised by Citro Jim) LT71141. I say this because I was once advised with great conviction by a Citroen Main Dealer to use an alternative. '' We always use this & never have any problem''. Thanks to this forum I had the wisdom to refuse it.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Sydney's #2 main dealer replaced it with a locally rebuilt unit by an accredited firm
Would that have been the Company: Wholesale Automatic?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No, it was a company based in Melbourne (Dandenong) who are charged with Peugeot and Citroën auto overhauls for the local market.

I freely acknowledge others may have had more positive experiences with them, but my contact events were overwhelmingly discouraging.