Berlingo Brake problem.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gozling2
My Cars:

Berlingo Brake problem.

Post by Gozling2 »

Hi guys,

I've a Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 2002 36K on the clock (wheelchair adapted) only had it a couple of months so not familiar with all the systems onboard it yet.

Just had it MOT'd last week and the tester put an advisory on, Service brake just passed at 51%, what should I be looking for?, the discs and pads at the front look in good shape, the rear shoes look to be in good shape and thickness and are dry so no sign of contamination and adjusted correctly (the handbrake is spot on).

When driving, then braking it almost feels as if the car isn't going to stop you have to press really hard on the pedal to get a response, the pedal doesn't feel spongy, and plenty of pressure at the pedal itself, no sign of any leaks on the brake lines, master, slave cylinders and the brake calipers are dry, the pads are free and moving.

could the problem be with the Load leveling device to rear??? or could the problem be with the Master cylinder, bit lost as to what to look for next.

Cheers.

Goz :D :D :D
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If it was the rear brake compensator seized up then it will (should?) of been noticed on the MOT. You can check it for yourself though check its spring / lever does move.

I would take a guess the brakes are poor due to not being bedded in and they have glazed up. If you wanted to take the pads out and gently emery them and refit them, then try bedding the front brakes in again.

Is the pedal really hard ? that would indicate a lack of servo assistance although again that would of been spotted on the MOT. Servo failures are rare though. Examine the vacuum line between the servo and the inlet manifold (as its a petrol)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Gozling2
My Cars:

Post by Gozling2 »

Thanks for your reply Andy,

The load leveler seems to be free enough (looked at the weekend) and the vacuum hose to the servo is fine, the brake pedal has a normal feel to it neither rock solid or spongy, I'll check and redress the front pads and wire brush and clean the calipers (the rear shoes were cleaned last weekend prior to test and adjusted) so will probably consentrate on the front as the rear ore only about 25% of the service brake performance anyway.

Cheers

Goz :D :D