Xsara Picasso HDi not starting.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mm1

Post by mm1 »

im no mechanic but i had the exact same problem just before xmas with my c5 hdi.my local garage done what he called a bottle test on the injectors and one of them was faulty.150 euro sorted the problem.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

mm1 wrote:im no mechanic but i had the exact same problem just before xmas with my c5 hdi.my local garage done what he called a bottle test on the injectors and one of them was faulty.150 euro sorted the problem.
Sounds like a leak off test, which I alluded to above - basically you disconnect the injector leak off hoses and route the leak offs into separate bottles, then run the engine (OK so that might be a challenge here, but cranking it may well be enough) and compare the amount leaked off - should be pretty minimal, if one (or more) has a significant leak off then it's gubbed. A Lexia investigation may be able to do this electronically.
Richard W
Rockley Lock & Safe

Post by Rockley Lock & Safe »

I can try that,

The car runs fine once it starts.
Rockley Lock & Safe
Vehicle Locksmith
07411 30 66 66
http://rockley.info/vehicle-locksmith
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

RichardW wrote:A Lexia investigation may be able to do this electronically.
I'm certainly no expert with a Lexia but I believe that it can't pick this up.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Rockley Lock & Safe

Leak off test done, fine no issues.

Still hard to start but runs lovely once it has started.

I can't be arsed to faff about with it any more, I was only getting it starting better to sell it.

I am going to break it this weekend, should be worth more I think.
Rockley Lock & Safe
Vehicle Locksmith
07411 30 66 66
rick45
My Cars:

Re: Xsara Picasso HDi not starting.

Post by rick45 »

Rockley Lock & Safe wrote:I have a Citroën Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi, once it is running it is great, it turns over for a couple of minutes before starting. The first 30 seconds of cranking it is as though it has no fuel or an immobiliser problem, then the car starts shaking and diesel spoke pours out of the exhaust. If i pump the throttle I can usually get it going after a minute or two of cranking.

It is easier to start once the car is warmed up but not perfect.

The glow plugs never seemed to do anything and are doing the same amount of not a lot now, I have powered the glow plugs directly with no noticeable effect, the problem doesn't seem to be affected by the temperature outside.
I have swapped the fuel filter and used "Redex" diesel fuel additive after the filter swap, no difference.

The car had an engine swap around 12 months ago, done at the main dealers who claimed it came out of a van.

I am at my wits end with it now, any advice greatly apreciated.

I am main dealer trained (Audi) with a well stocked garage but I am at a loss as to where to start.

Thanks in advance guys.

Warren
hi, you say you have changed the fuel filter, i bet you have an air leak and getting air in fuel, or it could be a lazy in tank fuel pump.
rick.
Rockley Lock & Safe

It was the injector.

Number 3 injector is/was knackered, I have had them rebuilt and then tested at the local Bosch Diesel centre.

The engine is now 1/2 out of the car and for sale complete, the rest of the car will be broken by the weekend.
Rockley Lock & Safe
Vehicle Locksmith
07411 30 66 66