Stiff Caliper Xantia HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dannyboy
My Cars:

Stiff Caliper Xantia HDI

Post by Dannyboy »

Left my Xantia in for the NCT test ( Irish MOT ) and they snagged an indicator lens and headlight adjustment...........easily sorted. However the third item was front l/h wheel very stiff.

I was surprised as the car doesn`t drive as if it has a dragging brake...and still doesn`t. I Jacked it up and sure enough the wheel is difficult to turn by hand. r/h/s is much freer. Took the caliper apart expecting to find corrosion in the cylinder. Got the piston out no problem and it was squeaky clean....no corrosion or burrs. Polished it and the cylinder anyway.
The car will roll back on a slight incline when brakes released, the hub doesn`t get hot and the car does 50 MPG........but it`s still stiff to turn when you jack it up . The only thing I can think of is that the fluid badly needs to be changed .....it`s orange and steering is stiff in the a.m. first start. Could this be causing the brake(s) to drag a little ? I intended anyway to put flushing fluid in for 3K at next service , then install fresh fluid.
The car has 175K miles on the clock and no service history , 2001 reg and otherwise is in good shape. I have it 6 months.
Any advice appreciated...........Dannyboy
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hullo Dannyboy, if your LHM fluid is orange, you clearly have the wrong stuff in it. It should be GREEN. Looks like you have the later fluid for C5s.

I think you will find your dragging brake is caused by a seized LH handbrake cable. Do a search here as this problem comes up quite regularly on the Forum. One of the joys of Xantia ownership! :roll:

H
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

handyman wrote:Hullo Dannyboy, if your LHM fluid is orange, you clearly have the wrong stuff in it. It should be GREEN. Looks like you have the later fluid for C5s.
When LHM is overdue it changes colour from green to yellow then orange then black so it doesn't necessarily mean that the wrong fluid has been used, however it does need changing.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

And it might be advisable after emptying and cleaning the tank to use LHM flush for one or 2thou. miles. Empty and refill with fresh LHM.
Dannyboy
My Cars:

Flushing fluid cured it !

Post by Dannyboy »

Drained the fluid.....put in flushing fluid and bled it through the brakes.....sure enough the car felt freer after a few days. Will leave it in for 3k and then put in LHM. ..tks for the advice.......Dannyboy.