C5 steering vibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skinhead
My Cars:

C5 steering vibration

Post by skinhead »

My 2003 2.2 C5 has a wobble/vibration around 70ish.I'v had the wheels ballanced & the tracking done but still get this at 70 ish. I'v also noticed that on hard over lock there is a noise from the front. Would this indicate a drive shaft problem?? cars done 83k
thanks TD
P616VKX
My Cars:

Re: C5 steering vibration

Post by P616VKX »

skinhead wrote:My 2003 2.2 C5 has a wobble/vibration around 70ish.I'v had the wheels ballanced & the tracking done but still get this at 70 ish. I'v also noticed that on hard over lock there is a noise from the front. Would this indicate a drive shaft problem?? cars done 83k
thanks TD
Warped disks... Rear wheels out of balance... Track Rod Ends Worn enhancing a slight buckle on the wheel... In fact, anything worn in the suspension can massively enhance the feeling of vibration through the steering wheel.

I'd go for a track rod end trying to break free... Had it in an Astra... Came on quite suddenly.

Stu.
B564PLC - Red/Grey Renault 11 GTL 'Premiere'
skinhead
My Cars:

Post by skinhead »

thanks for you reply. new front discs & pads at recent last service which included an mot no problems reported with track rod ends or steering linkage rear wheels balanced as well as front together with tracking
its just that I read on here someone mentioned steering wobble around 70 in associaton replacing a drive shaft
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

skinhead wrote:thanks for you reply. new front discs & pads at recent last service which included an mot no problems reported with track rod ends or steering linkage rear wheels balanced as well as front together with tracking
its just that I read on here someone mentioned steering wobble around 70 in associaton replacing a drive shaft
I can't comment on that as I've never had experience of it.

However, a slightly worn suspension/drivetrain component, as said, can enhance the slightest little bit of wheel balance into something that isn't in proportion to the problem.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Stu.
B564PLC - Red/Grey Renault 11 GTL 'Premiere'
wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

i had this on my c5 and it was caused by buckled wheels, one badly, the steel wheels on the c5 are actually aluminium so buckle easily, i replaced a couple of wheels and the car is much better, the bad wheel was on the back, i had a mate check the wheels while i was getting tyres, but you can easily check them if you jack it up and spin the wheels you might see a buckle, look on the inside of the wheel
skinhead
My Cars:

Post by skinhead »

again thanks for replys, I will check the wheels for signs of buckle.

TD