Xantia rear sinking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Xantia rear sinking

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys my Fred's being even more naughty. Now I have to sort the LHM pressure regulator leak, replace the front accumulator sphere, and sort out whatever goes on with the rear. (And the indicator stalk's doing the clicky/ fizz, and the driver's door handle's loose, and the radio's playing up.)

What happened was after a 500kms trip I parked up, went back to the car after an hour and the rear was very low. Started her up and the rear immediately raised up. Left her overnight and the same thing happened. So last night I raised her up to high and this morning she is still up high.

I'm guessing it's the rear anti-sink valve since all four corner spheres are new.

Anyone confirm please? Or suggest something else?

Many thanks, Jaf
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Is the rear accumulator (antisink) sphere new?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

No Xac, it's at least 4 years/ 40,000kms old. That sphere is on my list of things to do, but until now there hasn't been a problem with the rear. I changed the corner spheres because the ride was a bit bumpy and I'm changing the front accumulator sphere because the tick rate is terrible and if I turn the engine off I get no brakes at all.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

While there's no actual test for the rear accumulator unlike the front one (with the faster tick rate) other than removing it and testing the pressure, the state of the front accumulator is a good indicator.
So if the front one needs changing, it's best to replace the rear one too.

DIY sphere tool
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

OK cool thanks. Will order one from GSF. Will it be OK to drive the car for the week until I get the new sphere? I'll change both spheres and the seal at the same time, the least times I get mucky the better!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It will be ok unless you lose hydraulic pressure and therefore your brakes, don't forget the handbrake!

There's a knack to replacing the A/S sphere, with the car up on axle stands at the rear jacking points, and depressurised so you've got plenty of room to work under it, take a 9mm flare spanner (if you don't have one, buy one before you start the work) and hook it on the nut on the end of the pipe which goes into the A/S sphere, then unscrew the sphere. The spanner will be held in place and you'll screw the sphere out of it's socket and off it's pipe nut.
You'll need a new 4.5mm seal which GSF sell.
Fitting the new sphere is reversal of the above, even though it is not needed use the o-ring that comes with the sphere to stop it rusting to the socket in the future.
Then get the sphere in the socket by 1 thread turn, screw the nut into the sphere a bit (it can be a pain in the backside to get going), hook on the flare spanner again and screw the sphere home.
Then just nip up the pipe nut.

DIY sphere tool