Stange noise - poss Accumulator?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonesy
My Cars:

Stange noise - poss Accumulator?

Post by Jonesy »

Have just bought a '98 Xantia 2.1 TD SX and I am delighted with it. Have replaced the 4 suspension spheres as it had the original ones on!!
Thing is, theres a strange noise from the front occasionally and I'm wondering if it's because the accumulator sphere needs changing (also original!). When idling, the ticking is about every 60-90 seconds or so, but when travelling slowly through town etc and also sometimes when accelerating, there seems to be a slightly odd noise from the front that sounds more like a brief 'buzzing' sound rather than a ticking. It will do it several times in succession sometimes then stop. Has anyone any ideas?? I suppose I should change the accumulator sphere anyway if its original. It may be my imigination but I'm sure it got worth with the new spheres fitted, is this because the hydraulics are doing more work with new spheres?
Many Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Everything is PERFECT in your Xantia - Jonesy [^]
- you just have to learn the peculiarities with a Hydraulic Citroen [8D]
The ticking sound emanates from the hydraulic pressure regulator - which is the odd bit on front of engine where you have the accumulator sphere located.
The ticking sound is the regulators over/under pressure valves cutting in/out - everytime the pressure in the hydraulic system is regulated.
This ticking sound is also a nice fault tracer - if the ticking interval becomes shorter than approx. 30sec's - you should begin to worry about a flat accumulator sphere - or internal leaking (pressure loss) in the system.
But your Xantia is giving you the normal healthy heartbeat - 60-90 sec's slow ticking intervals is VERY healthy !
A hydraulic Citroen is alive like a human - if anything is wrong - the heartbeat frequency increases [^][^]
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

Thanks Anders, thats good to know. I understand the relevance of the ticking having had several BX's, but is this sort of 'buzzing' sound normal? It's quite difficult to explain but its not really a ticking, as the ticking is a very distinct tick?
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

If your noise sounds a bit like someone twanging a ruler with the other end held on a table, lasting a couple of seconds, then mine does this too. It has done it for the last 95K miles with no obvious problems.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Buzzing is sound of hydraulic pump when under load. When cut-off pressure (175 bar) is reached, you hear a click of non-return valve in regulator and the buzzing stops. If this buzzing is not very loud, there's nothing to worry about.
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Possibly related:
I have recently bought a Xantia and it occasionally makes a noise that is worrying me. Immediately after starting the engine there is sometimes a short buzzy/farting sound that lasts about 1/2 a second and at the same time the front suspension drops by a couple of inches. This has happened about 4 times in the space of a week (I estimate thats about 1 in 10 starts).
The car is a 1996 TD Dimension with 79k on the clock, the spheres in the engine bay visually look nice and clean and the rears are all rusty with cracked plastic end caps. I've got a receipt for it's 72k service which lists 3.5 litres of LHM; would this quantity suggest its been flushed, it doesn't really sound enough.
Apart from this noise the whole system seems to work normally, regulator clicks alot when raising car to max height and then settles down to about 1 click every 15 seconds.
Sometimes after stopping the car it sinks slightly whilst a noise like a creaking door comes from under the front arches. Does the rear anti-sink system also work the front?
Can anyone suggest what might explain this strange behaviour.
Thanks in Advance.
Andy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andy -
1) the service history on 3.5L LHM only tells the LHM in the reservoir have been replaced. Check it by seeping up a little amount in a white or clear jar - if the colour is clear neon green - the fluid by itself has been replaced & is ok.
If the colour is more like dirty green - the fluid has not been replaced - but the garage have taken advantage of the previous owner - unfortunately this happens.
2) 79K on the clock is not bad at all - you should not expect serious problems in the hydraulics.
3) the symptoms you describe - together with the rather short click interval of 15sec's - clearly points to a suspect flat accumulator sphere. This is to be considered normal - a cheap & regular service work on a Citroen. A Citroen sphere (any kind) is some UK£20 at Andyspares (GSF) - and replacing the accumulator sphere is one of the first DIY tasks a hydraulic Citroen owner may try with success.
4) The creaking may be dry slide bearings in the front suspension cylinders (hydraulic McPherson struts). The piston protruding under the upper plastic gaiter (in wheelarch) can be greased with standard ballbearing grease - which will help for long.
5) The exterior looks of the suspension spheres is NOT to be taken as a wear-guide. The front suspension spheres are very well protected against road dirt & salt - located inside the enclosed engine bay. The rear spheres are exposed to road dirt & salt - quickly giving surface corrosion.
To test the suspension spheres condition :
have engine idle - car normal height - then press down each corner. It should be possible to easy press down - some 2-3 inch front - some 3-4 inch rear. If any corner shows stiffness - like only the tyre gives suspension - that corners suspension sphere is flat.
Both spheres to 1 axle are replaced.
6) Judging the antisink sphere condition is to look for a sudden sink in height - when engine started. At this moment an electro valve is opened - connecting the antisink sphere. If it is flat - it will "steel" pressure from suspension - resulting in a sudden sink.
There is no need to replace working spheres "in advance". The replacement is easy & quick garage work - not a frightening expense.
Spheres will last some 5-8 y's - INdependent of driving. The reason is that the sphere membrane is porous to the N-gas used - constantly leaking a tiny amount - from day 1 - even on stock.
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Anders,
Thanks for your quick answer; I will check the fluid condition and grease the slides.
The rear was quite low this morning and sometimes there is a noticable drop at the front when the engine starts. Therefore I guess I'll need to replace both the accumulator and the anti-sink.
I've followed the threads about anti-sink sphere replacement and understand that there is a 9mm union to be careful with. Does anyone have a photo on the web that shows this?
Regards
Andy
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Anders, 'duration' of spheres is driving dependent. My father regassed spheres on his GS for the first time after about 4 years - they were almost flat. He regassed them for the last time about 3.5 years ago, and they were still almost on the correct pressure when he sold it 2 months ago (although the spheres were 22 years old), because the car covered very low mileage since (it was used as a 2nd car).
When the system is under the pressure, whole membrane is 'exposed' to LHM on the other side. When it's not, most of the membrane is in close contact with the sphere, so N-gas is escaping only through very limited area, 'exposed' to LHM.
Of course, on the cars with anti-sink, most of the system is constantly under pressure, so there shouldn't be a significant difference...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Exactly Alex [:)]
I should have written "...INdependent of driving style...".
Spheres do in fact have a life expectancy similar to shock absorbers - but are mostly cheaper [8D]