Heater Blower Inoperative

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

P616VKX
My Cars:

Heater Blower Inoperative

Post by P616VKX »

Hi guys,

I know S1 Citroen Xantia's heater units are a common problem on these models, however, mine has just randomly packed up after 5 days of ownership. It's worked perfectly since I got it, with the "Auto" setting working, along with all speeds on the slider, however, this morning, I realised it wasn't working, along with the engine temperature being a little high and the stop light flickering every now and again.

The stop light flickering and high engine temperature was down to the Air Conditioning being on (The green light doesn't work).

However, I cannot get the heater motor going for the life of me. I've replaced the fuses and stuff, had the carpet out in the foot well and had a good poke. It looks like someone's had a go at the wiring, as fuse 25 has some weird goings on... And there's a thick red wire that's been cut near to the heater motor.

It's worked perfectly though, so I'm not too sure.

Has anyone got any information, other than the whole relay thing, that might help me?

Igntion switches and me don't get on very well due to me breaking the key barrel last time I did one!!!

Cheers,

Stuart.
B564PLC - Red/Grey Renault 11 GTL 'Premiere'
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

^ Heater motor wiring

^ Fuse Box Wiring
P616VKX
My Cars:

Update

Post by P616VKX »

I've just been out to the car,

The connector came off today and one of the connections looked a little "black"... So, I took the connector apart and sanded off the blackness, and reconnected it. Still nothing, although, when the engine is running, I can hear a click from the heater motor when switching from ANY speed, to Max. When the engine isn't running, you can't hear the click from off to Max.

The fuses are all fine and the only fault I can see is the blackened connector, which I have cleaned up and now looks like new.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? The heated rear window works fine and wiggling the key in the ignition doesn't seem to do anything. I've checked all the fuses, all seem fine apart from Fuse 25, which controls the alarm plip and clock, which has been modified, but the clock and plip still work fine.

Thanks in advance, Stuart.
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

Just in addition, my local breakers told me that the heater motor can seize up and cause issues. The breaker in question has a Xantia TD VSX (I think) on a P Reg, that has a working heater motor. Should I try this out before delving any further?

Cheers.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If it's cheap. Could be the brushes have finally given up the ghost. I believe they can be easily replaced though, just can't remeber the source for new brushes.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

Xac wrote:If it's cheap. Could be the brushes have finally given up the ghost. I believe they can be easily replaced though, just can't remeber the source for new brushes.
Does the red wire in the first picture need connecting somewhere?

When I pulled the carpet down, there was a spade connector that fell down onto the carpet and then I noticed the red wire was out of place. There also looks to be a spare connection on the heater.

Just an idea.

Stuart.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Where does the red wire go?

The 4 wire plug has the thick red live, thick black earch and two control wires.
Once they go through the transistor block on the blower, thick red/black leads go to the motor of the blower, could it be one of them?

The problem with the bowers is well known to us, and so is the solution, but many garages recieve a Xantia with the problem and don't know what to do, so they'll either butcher everything and install another switch (often not bypassing the burnt out ingition switch so it doesn't do the trick) or have a go at replacing wires without much success.

Cassy had a switch installed in the blanking plate on the dash to the right of the steering column, it made no difference, and a LX I bought and broke had a new 12v feed direct to the blower motor butchered in with a switch in the passenger foot well, so it would only do full blast when it was turned on.

I'd try and trace back all the extra wiring that's been put in, remove/disconnect it and then do the relay mod properly.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

It doesn't seem like it's been THAT butchered...

There's one red wire coming from the main loom that's not connected, with no spade connector (Male or Female) on it.

The one cable that is there must've been working until recently, and the "Auto, Off, 1, 2 and MAX" settings were working properly. I am swaying towards the motor being broken. But it's only a guess.

If I feed 12v to the Big Red slot and earth it to the black, will it kick in full blast?

Stu.
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

Right, going to the breakers tomorrow to source a new heater unit...

I'm still concerned about what looks to be a factory fitted live wire hanging in the wind...

Any knowledge on that yet?
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

Right, I've taken the blower motor out, looked at it and it's clean, dry and spinning freely.

I re-connected the wires and it spun at full speed and medium speed upon request.

However, it soon stopped again. Checked the fuses, still no joy.

Checked the voltage between the Red and Black wire on the 4 wire connector and got 14v.

There seems to be not very much wrong with it... I just can't get it to work!

The HRW works perfectly... I'm starting to lose hope. I don't know where to look next.

Stuart.
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

Upon reflection,

I connected the red wire up when the engine was running, and then re-tested with the engine off. I only ever hear the click from the motor when the engine is running, so therefore, does the motor only work when the engine is running?

I could swear I've heard it running with the engine off, but I need confirmation now. It's an S1 Xantia without the Relay mod.

Quicker the reply, the quicker I can go to bed for my early shift!

Cheers,

Stu.
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

Fixed.

For some reason, the red wire that'd been cut just needed re-connecting to the terminal.

No idea what the matter was, worked on all speeds and just demisted the windscreen rather briskly!

Stuart.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Stuart, I was just about to offer full wiring and harness diagrams to help you too...

:D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
P616VKX
My Cars:

Post by P616VKX »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent Stuart, I was just about to offer full wiring and harness diagrams to help you too...

:D
I'm a complete electro-phobe... Lol!

I'm quite glad, although, I can't help thinking that the wire was disconnected for a reason. But for the time being, it's working. So it's all gravy!