Car shakes / vibrates while braking. Any help pls?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wright
My Cars:

Post by wright »

i reckon the spacers are the problem, if the wheels aren't perfectly centred your going to have a vibration, i had a vibration on my c5 which i though was coming from the front and it turned out to be three buckled wheels one of the rears was very bad and was causing the vibration, changed a couple of the wheels and it was like a different car, i have a couple of steel wheels from a 307 I'm going to put on it to replace the other two
superiorzbg
My Cars:

Post by superiorzbg »

hi again... I took out the rear wheels, cleaned the spacers and the drum surface from rust / corrosion and replaced the wheels again.

When I rotated the right rear wheel, I noticed that it's a little bit wavy. And even there are no chips of balancing.

Also I've checked the front wheels and there are no play with the wheels.

Until now the car is still doing the same issue...
Philip Cachia
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sounds like your right rear tyre is knacerd if its wavy it means it is distorted,

balancing will not sort this, if your spare is road leagal stick that on and take the car for a spin,

regards malcolm
superiorzbg
My Cars:

Post by superiorzbg »

I will replace it with the spare wheel, and test it tomorrow. Thanks.
Philip Cachia
superiorzbg
My Cars:

Post by superiorzbg »

tested it with the spare wheel, but the vibration is still there. does rear wheel balancing make any changes?
Philip Cachia
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

With my Xantia when the wheel balancing was out you could really feel it. Much worse on the front than the rear though (suppose cos it's front wheel drive). You could try putting the rear wheels on the front to see if the vibration moves to the front.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
superiorzbg
My Cars:

Post by superiorzbg »

I've balanced the rear wheel and its still vibrating while braking. I think it something from the front.

If vibrating from the front, what would be the problem?
Philip Cachia
superiorzbg
My Cars:

Post by superiorzbg »

I've found that the passengers wheel shaft is bad. Could it be that the vibration is causing because of this while braking?
Philip Cachia
RoyChristie
My Cars:

Post by RoyChristie »

You have a vibration
You have a wavy rear wheel
Check each hub with a wheel which is not wavy, spin them, find one that spins true
Put that wheel on the wavy rear corner
If it is still wavy - you may have a bent hub driving flange, check that the disk spins true in the brake caliper, you may notice it there.

Bent hubs are usually a result of the car being run sideways into a kerb
RoyChristie
My Cars:

Post by RoyChristie »

superiorzbg wrote:I've found that the passengers wheel shaft is bad. Could it be that the vibration is causing because of this while braking?
yes, see also post above