12V accessory socket dead

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

THELABMAN
My Cars:

12V accessory socket dead

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Guys,

The 12 volt accessory socket on my C5 has recently started giving up the ghost, it would lose power for anything from a few hours to a day or two then kick back in for no apparant reason now it's been dead for over five days.....

As I use it to power my bluetooth handsfree and my TomTom it's proving a proverbial pain in the rear end, I checked the fuse in the glove box and it's fine and seated securely as are the wires going to the unit, I lifted out the ashtray in the rear of the console. Does anyone have ideas as to what the problem may be..... and is there anyway to use the cigarette lighter as 12v power supply as nothing works in it except the lighter.

Thanks in advance

Peter
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

don't rely on the manual for which fuse is which, mine bears no resemblance to board. i ended up pulling all mine out to check
i use my cig lighter to power my sat-nav with no problem, apart from the aperture is deeper than a normal acc. socket which some chargers may not fit.
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

my 607 also has a cigar lighter in the back, below the rear ashtray i think.
The front cigar lighter is controlled by the ignition key, so if the ignition is on the ligher works.
The rear cigar lighter is controlled by the BSI.
I've noticed that sometimes the BSI switches it on, and sometimes it doesn't, and I have no idea why.
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Folks,

It was the car manual I used to check the fuse not the BOL and I've always found it to be fairly honest...well okay they didn't half skimp on headlight bulb replacement.....

Anyway the 12v socket is still dead but Old'uns going on your comment that you run your sat-nav off the cigarette lighter I looked around for something that had a long and narrow power socket and came across this http://www.maplin.co.uk/twin-cigarette- ... ead-226497 in Maplin and it's working a treat.

I'm now able to run my Seecode Bluetooth Handsfree and Tom-Tom at the same time, it came with a fairly substantial double sided sticky pad so it's now stuck to the side of the centre console. The only slight niggle being that it only works now with the ignition on but at least I've got a power supply back.

Thanks for your help and replies guys, always nice to know someone is there with some decent advice.

Peter
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)