c5 tyre and brake wear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

c5 tyre and brake wear

Post by daviemck2006 »

Hi, have bought another car for my commute (pug 107) and was giving the c5 a good going over as it's not going to be used a lot now, bascially just on days off and as a trailer/caravan tug. Had all the wheels off, I'm very close to new discs and pads on front. However on the rear I put in new pads about 20000miles ago, was going to do discs as well but could not get calipers off to get discs off so did not bother changing discs and they do look really worn now and need doing so ant tips on how to remove caliper bolts? I think they HAVE to come off as I discovered more problems on the rear. The calipers are scuffing against the wheels and look as if they are too far away from the discs. Still plenty of wear on pads but would do all 4 discs and pads before mot which is end of april. The wheels on my car are not the standard 2.2sx 15"wheels, but standard 2.0sx 15" wheels which I think are nicer. I would not have thought this would have made any difference. Also tyre wear is a but uneven. Bearing in mind tyres have done more than 22000 miles I am pleased with the mileage they have done, all tyres are worn differently. Right hand front 3ml left worn evenly, right rear 3ml worm evenly, left front 3ml outside edge 0ml inside edge, left rear 2ml outside, 4ml inside edge. There is a small amount of movement in the drop link on front left, front right seems fine. I know I need 4 tyres (I'll have to go secondhand cos I'm now skint!) 4 discs and pads and 1 drop link. Would I be as well doing both drop links? Would these be causing the uneven tyre wear? Any advice would be appreciated, espically on removal of siezed caliper bolts, and the calipers scuffing wheels.

On the other note I should not mention the 107 on here, have to go on to the peugeot section of the site, or maybe even find a toyota forum :D :D

Davie
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Congrats on the 107 purchase, they are excellent! Perfect commuter car too.

The C5 has an issue with its rear callipers, corrosion creeps in between the calliper forcing it away from its mounting. Usually this makes the pads wear wedge shaped, as the calliper is no longer seating squarely.

In worst cases the calliper does touch the wheel or the brake disc or both. The fact your car has 2.0 wheels wont effect it.

I usually take the rear callipers off on a service and clean up the backing. Ive yet to struggle with one which has welded on and the bolts don't turn, luckily mine have all been free and easy to remove. Though you might snap the bolts getting them off, you'll have to drill them out and get new bolts.

Tyre wear does sound a little uneven, i usually find the C5s scrub off the outer edges first, so if yours is wearing the insides more then it might be a tracking issue or a worn bush or something. A drop link wont effect tyre wear. Im sure 22K miles is he most ive heard anyone get out of a pair of C5 front tyres though.

No, you SHOULD mention your 107 here, im a huge fan of the 107, C1 trio, there are never posts about them on here, so post away! The FCF is for all cars wearing French badges after all. However, Im a member of the c1oc forum, which is a good forum.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Citroenmad wrote:Im sure 22K miles is he most ive heard anyone get out of a pair of C5 front tyres though.
Er... My front Michelin Primacy HP (V-rated) have both done just over 30K, and they should fly through their 3rd MOT in April. Mainly motorway driving, tyre pressure around 10% above recommended.

Needless to say will get another set of Primacy HP, excellent tyre.

GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

GB wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Im sure 22K miles is he most ive heard anyone get out of a pair of C5 front tyres though.
Er... My front Michelin Primacy HP (V-rated) have both done just over 30K, and they should fly through their 3rd MOT in April. Mainly motorway driving, tyre pressure around 10% above recommended.

Needless to say will get another set of Primacy HP, excellent tyre.

GB
Hmm, interesting, thanks for that :) 30K miles is excellent going.

Mine is currently on Michelin Primacy Pilots (215,55,16W) the fronts are down to around about 3.5mm at 13K miles. Ive got some Michelin Primacy HPs waiting to go on when they are done.

I doubt these fronts will get too near to 20K miles, but id be happy with 20K from the HPs. Mind, I got 11 or 12K from the Toyos on the front of my other C5, so anything over 15K would be nice!

You must have your tyres at around 38PSI in the front? Obviously not wearing the centres out?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Citroenmad wrote:You must have your tyres at around 38PSI in the front? Obviously not wearing the centres out?
Yep, around 38-39PSI for everyday driving, and around 41-42PSI for German autobahns to keep the tyre temperature down (usually cruising at 95mph).

The centres are perfect, wearing out as expected, very pleased with the mileage so far. The outsides are wearing out slightly more, probably because of the weird Citroen front geometry (my old Xanita was the same).
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Thats impressive.

I only ask as our C5 estate has Michelin Primacy HPs and it carries a lot of weight. Ive got the fronts at 36 and the rears at 40, as that is what is stated for fully laden. Though the front is listed as the 36 laden or not.

They have not been on long enough to judge wear yet, but I might increase the fronts slightly, as they do still look squishy.

Mine seems happy with 36PSI, though the edges do wear as you say.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10