Help for a newbie please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bulldog1969

Help for a newbie please

Post by bulldog1969 »

HI
I have just bought my first xantia its a 19 td vsx estate and it feels like the brakes are binding when you pull away fine when on the move if you stop on a slight incline the car holds with no hand brake was told this is normal for this model is this correct :?:
many thanks jason
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome Jason

and no it is not correct, it should free wheel like any other car with brakes off,

first thing i would check is the state of the hand brake cables, as they operate the front calipers they flex every time you turn the steering,

this causes them to crack,split were they rape around the suspension leg/strut,

another fault is corrosion builds up between the rear calipers and the trailing are, so it jacks the caliper away from its mounting point on the arm,
this can if really bad cause binding,

were abouts are you

regards Malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, absolutely as you say Malcolm :D

What happens Jason, is that the handbrake cables split and then water gets in and sets up rusting which binds the cables.

Despite looking like a real ***, the job of replacing the handbrake cables is refreshingly easy :D

If the rears are the problem, pop the pads out and see if they're worn wedge-shaped. If they are, it's a sure sign the calipers have corrosion behind them. Another dead give-away is if the rear disc does not sit centrally between the caliper halves. Corrosion builds up and actually pushes the caliper off-centre and away from the trailing arm.

Beware, removing the 17mm caliper securing bolts on a badly corroded caliper is a bit of a 'mare. If this is your problem, come back for some hints and tips on loosening these bolts without shearing them. If you don't go in with care it is sadly all too easy to shear them and find yourself in a whole world of pain...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bulldog1969

Post by bulldog1969 »

Hampshire
bulldog1969

Post by bulldog1969 »

Cheers for the quick reply will check out at the weekend and let you know out come