C5 estate 2003. Tailgate window not un-latching.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samjmann
My Cars:

C5 estate 2003. Tailgate window not un-latching.

Post by samjmann »

Hi everyone, :)

The tailgate window won't unlatch using the switch built into the tailgate wiper housing. The solenoid that releases the catch can be moved manually and the window pops up. I remember reading a long time back that there is no command comming from the small release switch. apparently this is caused by a broken copper 'track' on the rear window itself.

Has anyone any experience of this? Replacing the rear screen for this seems a bit expensive to me!

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards, samjmann.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Common problem that can be rectified with a bit of wire, a soldering iron and some black tape.
There is a very good guide. If I can find it I'll drop a link in here.
samjmann
My Cars:

C5 Estate t.ailgate window release

Post by samjmann »

Hi myglaren

Thanks for your reply, I was sure I've read this one before. It'll be great if you can find that link.

Thanks again,
samjmann.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Here we are.
Be warned that it is a .pdf but not a very large one.
http://users.skynet.be/sky83161/sven/openingc5.pdf

I had mine done by an auto electrician while he regassed mine and my son's cars aircon systems.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Could be the wiring but equally the switch switch actuating mechanism isn't very clever had both fail on mine.

Before tackling the wiring best to get to the plug which connects to the switch disconnecting this and playing with wire jumper to eliminate the switch is a good start.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
samjmann
My Cars:

C5 Estate. Rear window latch

Post by samjmann »

Hi myglaren and cachaaero, :D

Thanks for sending me all the info. I only discovered that the window latch wasn't working when after an MOT, I was told the high level brake light was dead! I've repaired the LED unit ( see my recent posts on this), so I thought I'd have a go at the solenoid too.

Apparently if the high level light is dead it'll 'pass', but if less than 40% of the LED's are working, it's a 'fail'. So on my car it passed because the whole unit was dead! Strange...

Thanks again, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Regards, samjmann.
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi I used the info on this forum to fix mine , I used super glue to stick the wire to the screen instead of the tape , just attached the wire in stages then ran the glue along the wire / screen join . If you watch CSI you'll know that dried superglue goes whiteish so I painted it over with matt black paint. I think it looks less noticeable than the tape but each to their own. John.
Muggle
My Cars: Citroen BX diesel turbo (a long time ago)
Peugeot 406 2.1 diesel saloon (after the BX)
Peugeot 406 Hdi 2.0 Estate after the 405)
Rover 75 2.0d Connoisseur saloon (Fantastic BMW engine, all the toys - stolen in Italy)
Citroen C5 2.0 diesel Exclusive Tourer (Blissful suspension, so relaxing, but ridiculously unreliable electronics, but I've had it for 5 years and will miss it somehow.)
Current: Peugeot 407 Sports Coupe 16v 2.0 diesel (quiet, quick, handling and cornering very nice, suspension a little hard - can I have my C5 back, please?, lol).
4 Jobs (that I know of):
1. Fit towbar (I'm a caravanner)
2. Fit 'Connect2' bluetooth handsfree
3. Fit front proximity sensors
4. Enjoy

Re: C5 estate 2003. Tailgate window not un-latching.

Post by Muggle »

I had a go at this fix without success - anyone know how to test the solenoid electrics?
Muggle

possum ergo ago
cachaciero
My Cars:

Re: C5 estate 2003. Tailgate window not un-latching.

Post by cachaciero »

Easiest way is with a Lexia which will check out the switch and the solenoid latch. Failing that you will have to remove the tailgate liner to give you access to the solenoid and switch wiring. Both the switch and the Solenoid wires end up in the BSI so it's not totally impossible that the fault could lie within the BSI again a Lexia is needed for checking this out. However I would bet it is the switch and the problem could be mechanical or electrical. Dismantling the switch / wiper assembly would be the quickest wau of checking it.
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC