My C5 vs my wifes Laguna

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nick69

My C5 vs my wifes Laguna

Post by Nick69 »

My 2002 Citroen C5 2.0Hdi 110hp is REALLY slow compared to my wifes 2004 Renault Laguna Tourer 1.9Dci 120hp.

The renault is tight to drive, throttle is sharp and responsive, brakes are very good, interior is comfortable. 30mph in 5th and you can pull away with ease.

The citroen is very large inside(one bonus), the throttle pedal has no real response unless you stick it to the floor. The brakes are pretty poor too. 30mph in 5th and the car will pretty much want to stop!
Is there something wrong with my car or are they all a bit slow?

Both cars are on 110k miles. The renault still drives like a new car, could it be simply the quality of servicing?

Its not really a problem but was expecting them to be pretty same-ish.

Anyone else got any opinions on my Rant?? :lol:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well that doesnt sound quite right, however, why would you want to do 30mph in 5th? Thats not economical nor good for the engine, its labouring. The reason the Renault will pull 30 in 5th gear is because its a 6 speed box, so 5th is slightly lower geared than 5th in the C5, which is its top gear. 4th is what you need for 30, 40 then into 5th. I dont think ive ever driven any 5 speed diesel car which is happy doing 30mph in 5th gear.

It is true that the Citroen C5 got better and better since its early launch, as tweeks were made things improved, this included the drive and feel of the car. Our 2002 C5 needs a good stab on the throttle to get it moving, it seems to either have a longer travel or more initial free play than the later cars.

Likewise earlier C5s are not the tightest things to drive, though no doubt your C5 has 15" wheels and your Renault 16 or probably 17" alloys - which explains some of the feel. C5s got tighter to drive as they matured and were improved.

Renaults are notorious for having sensitive brakes, which might be why you think the C5s are poor. However, ive driven many C5s now and ive never found any with poor brakes, not quite as sensitive as older citroens but they are very strong, very sharp and pull up in no time, especially in an emergency situation where they really amase. If yours are 'poor' then there is something not right.

You dont hear many glowing reports of Lagunas really, usually people complaining about the gearbox crunching or the turbo failing or worse the whole engine failing - ive heard and seen the last one many times. Had the drivetrain of been better in the Laguna then id probably have bought one of those years back, and not had a succession of C5s.

Dont get me wrong, Lagunas are lovely cars and when everything works they drive very nicely. The engine is economical and brisk and the 6 speed box is very good too.

I think ive explained some of your disappointments there, though if you drove a similarly ages C5 from 2004 you might be a bit more impressed. As as i say, with my experience the later the C5 the slightly more improved.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10