xud9 from a citroen, same as peugeot?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the jester

xud9 from a citroen, same as peugeot?

Post by the jester »

Hi
I need a replacement engine for a 405,

ive been offered a cheap Xantia, i believe its the same engine
XUD9 Turbo diesel

ive been warned tha some Citroen xud9s have a haydraulic pump, and some have a vacum pump

i understand i need a vcum pump

can anybody enlighten me if this is correct,

are there any other differences in the two manufacturers engines?

thanks!
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

:welc:

Hello there!

Yup, Peugeot and Citroen share engines across the board. So an XUD9 from a Xantia will be the same as the one in the 405...essentially.

It's just the bits that attach to them that may be slightly different.

e.g. Engines from hydraulic (proper) Citroens will have hydraulic pumps (similar to PAS pump). Some fuel pumps are fully mechanical and some have electronic timing, some have keypad immobilisers etc etc etc.
Engine mounts may be slightly different.

Not an expert on Xantiae, but there's a lot of them here that'll be able to tell you more.

Depends on what you need for the 405's engine really.

-Alex[/i]
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, fundamentally, a Xantia 1.9TD engine is the same as in a 405 TD.

All Xantia engines will have a hydraulic pump in place of the PAS pump on the 405. You will need to swap the alternator/PAS pump cradle and PAS pump across. That's easy enough. That's on a late 405. An early 405 has the PAS pump mounted on the gearbox and driven by a pulley. To use a Xantia engine here, you'd need to swap the camshaft. The same pulley also drives the outboard vacuum pump on an early 405.

The later 405s and later Xantias have a vacuum pump running off the end of the camshaft but early Xantias don't. In the 405 this vacuum pump drives the brake servo but on the Xantia it just provides a source of vacuum for the EGR valve and pump fast idle bellows. The non-vacuum pump engine can have a vacuum pump fitted by removing a blanking plate.

Later Xantia engines had an ECU controlled Injection Pump. This was never fitted to the 405 and is hard to retrofit so if you have one of these, you'll need to swap over pumps. Note that the two pumps look very similar but without an ECU the later pump will not run properly.

Hope that helps.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
the jester

Post by the jester »

many thanks 8-)

definintely helps and confuses all in one :lol:

Ive PMed you citrojim, to clarify the issue
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

PM replied :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
the jester

Post by the jester »

awsome, many thanks 8-) !