Fitting an aux heated second fuel tank xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

romie
My Cars:

Re: Fitting an aux heated second fuel tank Xantia

Post by romie »

:) heya,

Yup still running straight veg.

Done over 10,000 miles on straight veg now and still on the original fuel filter.

Heated twin tank.

I've got the veg tank in the back lagged up like a hot water tank, (in fact with bright red hot water tank lagging). The pipes run down the side of the car, through the bulkhead and straight into the engine bay then onto the 10 plate fphe. (and so avoiding exposure to the cold outside world)

The veg tank is heated with engine coolant which is piped all the way down to the veg tank and round a stainless steel coil in the tank.

The veg lines and coolant lines have been strapped together and covered in insulation.

I put a temp gauge at the bottom of the tank. The temp goes up to 60-70oC whilst driving and has dropped to around 35oC when I leave her overnight.

During the summer I didn't need to purge the injection pump but I'm now purging for 20 seconds then switching over to diesel before starting in the morning.

Straight after I start the car in the morning I switch immediately to veg with no problems.

So it's going fantastically still so far.

Fingers crossed for the -12oC bit!

:D
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD 1996 estate 100% veg 323k
Ford Transit Tourneo 2.5L Di 1999 165k
Yamaha R1 1999 26k
Kawasaki ZXR750 L1 1993 66k (to LPG?)
Suzuki Bandit GSF400 1992 x 2
Mountain bike, skateboards, snowboards, surfboard, longboard and feet!
romie
My Cars:

Re: Fitting an aux heated second fuel tank Xantia

Post by romie »

note:
The veg and coolant lines are running all the way to the bulk head inside the car.

I'm still able to leave the car switched on straight veg when I get to work and start ok at the end of an 8 hour day without purging. Veg tank after day shift sits around 45oC.

Also straight after starting the car the temperature of the veg tank will always drop 5oC before it starts to warm up again due to the temp of the oil in the lines being pumped round.

Hope this helps.

Romie
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD 1996 estate 100% veg 323k
Ford Transit Tourneo 2.5L Di 1999 165k
Yamaha R1 1999 26k
Kawasaki ZXR750 L1 1993 66k (to LPG?)
Suzuki Bandit GSF400 1992 x 2
Mountain bike, skateboards, snowboards, surfboard, longboard and feet!