Knock from nearside rear wheel on compression

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Knock from nearside rear wheel on compression

Post by Dommo »

Hi all!

I've just discovered that a knock I thought was from the tow bar, isn't from the tow bar! It seems to be coming from the nearside rear wheel/trailing arm area when the car initially starts compressing, I can make it do it by pushing the tow bar down for example.

Is this a typical sign of the rear trailing arm bearings or something else?

Thanks.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The trailing arm bearings usually notify you of their failure by leaning the wheels in at the top and they don't usually knock they squeak. I think it more likely that a subframe bush is worn or it could even be that the bolt is loose - or it could be the anti roll bar bearings.

Peter
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Does the rear of a hydractive (VSX, not the Activa) car have an ARB? Wasn't sure if it did or not..

I'm pretty sure that it isn't the trailing arm bearings to be honest with you, mainly because its still nice and smooth when I compress the suspension myself.

I'll wait until I've got two pairs of hands so one can make it make the noise, and one can watch/feel to see what it is!

Cheers.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

How's the rear ride height? I had very elusive knock from what seemed like rear nearside, which I was convinced was one of the rear sub-frame's nearside bushes gone west. After many months of fruitless investigation, I checked the ride height, which had been spot on years before, and I found the ride height to be 35mm too high. Kicked myself, as it was obvious when I did the 1 finger test :oops:

All I could manage by trial and error was a setting 5mm higher than the max stated in BoL, but magically, the noise disappeared. Intend resetting it to within tolerance when we have warmer weather. Can only guess that the clamp on the anti-roll bar had moved, but no idea why, unless it was the full load of bags of compost.

This was last autumn, and still enjoying a car with no knocking noises :D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Dommo
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I had considered ride height, but I'd say its a little too low if anything as it loves banging off the rear bump stops on a rough road on the way home from work.

I'll have a look when I get chance and my dad is available to push the car down while I've got my head down there, not under the car though, I'm not that silly! :lol:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe the exhaust knocking on something (tow bar ?????)

regards malcolm