C5 Rear Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StevieOMG
My Cars:

C5 Rear Spheres

Post by StevieOMG »

I have an 03 LX C5 estate that is now sinking at the rear whne parked up. I have had it on a Lexia with no faults showing. Assuming therefore that I need to change the spheres. As I haven't got a Book of lies, can someone tell me how many spheres and I need. Am I best doing them all i.e. front and rear and where best to get them.

I had a similar problem last year but a couple of ups and downs on the suspension fixed. All advice greatly received.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

That wont be your spheres, the spheres on a C5 provide the ride quality, if its getting a bit stiff then yes change them, but this wont effect the sinking problem.

Your C5 only has 4 spheres, 2 on the front and 2 on the rear.

There has been similar thread about C5 estates sinking at the rear, ive not looked into the reason why, but it will be on here somewhere. Im sure someone more helpful will be along soon.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think that it was established that the system operates by the pump forcing fluid into the rams until the correct height is achieved and then being held there by none return (essentially anti-sink valves).
If the non return valves leak then the car will sink.

Otherwise, the ram is leaking which can be confirmed by excessive fluid in the gaiters. The rear rams do leak - intentionally, for lubrication. The leaking fluid is pumped back to the reservoir by the gaiters.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

This does seem to effect estates in the main, not sure if ive heard of a saloon sinking yet?

I thought this might be something to do witht he split they have in the hydraulics, to allow the rear to be raised and lowered independently of the front.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
canntan
My Cars:

Post by canntan »

Hi folks

I would like to know do C5 sphere able to regas? or anyone did it before?
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

If they are the new type of grey sphere which looks more like an actual sphere rather than a green lightbulb shape, then they can't be re-gassed.

The reason i know this is that i visited Andy @ Westroen & he showed me one of those new spheres that he'd cut in half, & the design of it was rather interesting. Its got some metal spikes on the bottom of the sphere, so as it loses pressure over time, the rubber damper gest lower & lower, until eventually it goes pop on the spikes, totally knackered, so you have to buy a new one.

Also i think he mentioned that the design of the sphere itself prevented him from being able to re-gass it, he can do any other sphere though, just not the latest one's.

It might be worth contacting him to just double check, you never know he might have a workaround one day? Just google Westroen & that'll bring up his website, very helpful chap.
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

No, you can not regass any C5 spheres, they all have the later spheres without the end nipple required to regass.

Spheres vary in price, but many people on here use GSF or ones from the AEP parts website. They are relatively cheap and as you only have 4 its not a huge outlay.

One reason a lot of people stopped doing sphere regassing is because after market spheres are so cheap now. Though not always the best, but most people use them without problems.

Out of interest, traditional Citroen spheres also have a limitation to regassing, as when too little pressure is left in the sphere the diaphragm inside impacts with the end retaining bolt which pierces the rubber.

Ive no idea why Citroen would purposely put in spikes to pop the rubber diaphragm on C5 spheres. Sounds a little dangerous to me and not right at all, i wonder if they serve another purpose.

Of course, by the time your sphere is flat enough to allow the diaphragm to hit the end of the sphere you will have been bouncing along with just the tyres for suspension for many miles/months.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10