Key stuck in Picasso door lock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomthered
My Cars:

Key stuck in Picasso door lock

Post by tomthered »

As the title says I had a new key cut to fit in a replacement remote. Key worked fine in the ignition barrel, but when I inserted it into the door to try, it got stuck!! Have tried pulling out with a pair of pliers but it wont move. Tried spraying WD40 in but no joy so have had to cut it off for now as anyone would mess with it and possibly damage the door itself!.

My question is that if I remove the door barrel, would I be able to knock it out from the other end? A replacement from Citroen is £55 with it cut to fit my key. Second hand they are £35 of Ebay with a key?

Would appreciate anyones early comments and on the best way to remove the barrel.

cheers Tom
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I think id be getting the locksmith who made you the key to try and remove it.

Genuine or not, its not supposed to to that! May well have damaged the lock too.

£55 for a new lock barrel? If so thats not bad, and certainly not worth saving £20 for a second hand one, as you dont want two keys for your car, one to get in and another to start it.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

No experience with Xsara Picassos; but I discovered when my key broke off in my door not long ago that on the barrel there's a little plastic cap running down the side which holds the pins and springs in. If you remove the pins from the lock (remember which hole they came out of!) you should be able to use a little pair of pliers to remove the key.

Most decent locksmiths can cut a key from a broken one, some can even do transponders too for much much less than Citroen or the cost of a new set of locks.

As I said, absolutely no experience with Picassos. Worth a look though I guess.

If you do manage to get it out, you can usually free them up by soaking them in a bit of 4D-40 or similar, then to stop them sticking again fill it up with a bit of liquid grease.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

Should have said I was only testing the key and I pushed it in gently, but something seemed to be stopping it being pulled out. I will have a go at removing it and soaking in oil, as I already have my remote with key and a spare key. Thanks for the info guys. Any more suggestions are welcome though.
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

My 607 doesn't have a lock on the passenger side at all, only on the drivers side.
I think it's a good thing as it's one less place for a thief to attack the car.
I'd swap the passenger lock to the drivers side and find a way to smoothly and securely blank off the hole.