1995 Xantia LX TD.Brakes dont work when car is started?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

minty

1995 Xantia LX TD.Brakes dont work when car is started?

Post by minty »

Hi guys, weird brake thing going on????
When i start the car and pull off the brakes dont work, when i say they dont work what they do is. On the first breaking i perform after pulling off there are no brakes after that they are fine??
Shed any light on this for me please guys and galls
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Minty,

The first task in this situation has to be a full brake bleed. Likely you'll find the rears full of air.

Also, check the accumulator sphere is healthy and good. A flat accumulator can cause poor initial braking along with a feekling the brakes are "pulsing"

This guide will help you..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Are you waiting for the "STOP" light to go off before driving?
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

xantia_v6 wrote:Are you waiting for the "STOP" light to go off before driving?
I still have to wait a little longer after mine goes out.... otherwise I get the old snatchy brakey effect!!! scared the bejesus outta the missus first time she drove ecto1 :lol:
panason1c

Post by panason1c »

I am surprised if moving off before the 'stop' warning light extinguished would have any detrimental effect on the operation of the braking system?.....is this specific to a xantia?
stedmancinques
My Cars:

Post by stedmancinques »

The first few times I drove my Xantia after I'd got it, I thought, 'Jesus Christ! The brakes have failed!!'. That was because I was used to driving DS, GSA and BX with proper Citroen brakes; it was then I found out about that stupid spring (gone now) between the pedal and the doseur, where PSA-Cit decreed that a Citroen should be more like a 'normal' car. The same philosophy brought us 'anti-sink' spheres, indicator stalks and fascia switches, rather than the far more ergonomically designed satellite pods of the CX and GSA. The best brake set-up for response speed, imho, is still the rubber mushroom on the footboard of the DS. However, while hydractive 2 is a definite advance, the C5 system is a retreat into the hygroscopic dark ages.
But to your problem; sounds like air in the system to me. Bleed all round, and you might as well change the LHM while you're at it. If the pressure regulator valve is clicking more frequently than every minute or so with the engine ticking over, suspension normal height, then it could be a flat accumulator sphere as well.
1964 DS 19
1973 Ami 8
1982 GSA Break
1981 GSA C-matic
1997 Xantia Auto
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

panason1c wrote:
I am surprised if moving off before the 'stop' warning light extinguished would have any detrimental effect on the operation of the braking system?.....is this specific to a Xantia?

OF COURSE you have to wait for the stop lamp! LIGHTS ON - NO PRESSURE supply little or no brakes depending on your accumilator sphere.

Jim has hit the nail on the head - its a symptom of Air in the brakes. I had this when I swapped a doser valve (Brake Valve) without dooing a bleed.

They would snatch on untill Full system pressure was applied. Should of bled it really....

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I'd go with gas in the brakes too (most likely nitrogen from spheres, but that's probably splitting hairs!), although it probably needs a new anti sink sphere as well. My thought is that when the rear AS valve opens and the AS sphere is flat all the pressure rushes in the sphere and robs the brakes of pressure - probably find the rear drops at the same time.

Mine does this, thinking it might need to have 6x new spheres, plus re-set the heights in the summer.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Johnny Cogs wrote:
I still have to wait a little longer after mine goes out.... otherwise I get the old snatchy brakey effect!!! scared the bejesus outta the missus first time she drove ecto1 :lol:
I know exactly what you mean!!!

Even now and after all these years of Xantia ownership, if I drive off in my Old V6 as soon as the STOP light is off (and they go off very fast in a V6) the brakes are not exactly wonderful. Several times I've wondered when reversing out of my parking spot if I'll stop in time to prevent a Xantia shaped dent appearing in the neighbour's Passat :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait just a few seconds after the light has gone out and all is well...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...