HELP!!! XANTIA MK2 BLOWER DEAD, BRRRRRRRR

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

You need to take the covers off underneath the steering column, it's held on by little torx screws if my memory serves me right.

You'll then see the fuse box on the right hand side. At the top of it (nearest your knee, not the pedals) you'll see a little green tab. Mine was really tight to I pulled it with a pair of pliers. This will move approximately half an inch.

You then pull the fuse box from the bottom upwards (towards the tab), again it'll only move half an inch and then it'll drop down. There isn't much slack in the cables so it won't come down that far.

If you want to take the plugs out of the back of the fuse box it's a sod to do but the sockets are colour coded so it makes putting it back together a doddle.

Getting the box to locate again in situ is a right sod!

To get to the air con switch I used a very small screwdriver and gently prised the switch out of the dashboard.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
tylerbode

Post by tylerbode »

Cheers David, I'll have a go today. I just noticed a loose Blue live wire hanging down below the fuse box at drivers knee! Any idea what that is? I wonder if its anything to do with my problem.
tylerbode

Post by tylerbode »

Update:

I had a look at behind Fuses and Air/Con switch. Everything look normal apart from a blue wire hanging loose that was connected to a wire behind Fuses 1,2 and 3. So I left it at that. Then after driving around for an hour, to my surprise, the Blower burst into life! And the Air/Con switch works now too. The only problem is its on full power constantly and cant be switched off! WTF. I'm well confused now.
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

That'll be the transistors on the motor that are causing it to run at full speed constantly.

You've got 3 choices:

1. Buy the transistors from somewhere like RS Components and fit them yourself if you're any good with a soldering iron. From memory they cost around £20 for the pair.
2. Buy a board that's ready to fit: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEATER-RESISTOR-B ... 255de4b1d2
3. Buy a 2nd hand motor, most breakers usually charge £10 or £15.

If you decide to do No. 1, CitroJim did a cracking guide: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... transistor

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
tylerbode

Post by tylerbode »

Cheers again David, you're a top man. Will look into it and feedback how I get on.

Thanks for all you're help,

Tyler
tylerbode

Post by tylerbode »

Ok, I'm back to square one on this folks! The Blower sometimes comes on when ignition on but engine not running. When I start car the blower stops. Then while driving around every half an hour or so it bursts into life for a few seconds and stops. Any Ideas?
tylerbode

Post by tylerbode »

Anyone at all? :cry:
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Yes, the clog will dip into it. :mrgreen:

The blower coming on flat-out without the engine running is caused by shorted transistors.
Shorted transistors don’t come good, so it’s not them if the blower stops when the engine is running.
If the speed slider ever works to vary the speed, then it’s not the transistors.
The thick black and thin orange wires on the blower plug may be touching, as explained in the first post of this topic:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=25122

To explore any further, you would need a test lamp or multimeter to find where the voltages are getting.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389