Xantia Blower & Heated rear window simultaneous failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Penguin
My Cars:

Xantia Blower & Heated rear window simultaneous failure

Post by Penguin »

As the title says really. Went to leave for work this morning and turned my blower on whilst I attempted to scrape the window. Nothing. Didn't matter which setting it was on the fan was not willing to co-operate. Then went to turn on the heated rear window. Nothing. Pressed the button and the light wouldn't come on. So I can't see forwards or backwards! Is it coincidence that they have gone together or is there a common link?

Cheers all.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

wiggle your key in the ignition barrel..... or switch the ign off n back on again.... works for me, everytime! :P
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Johnny Cogs wrote:wiggle your key in the ignition barrel..... or switch the ign off n back on again.... works for me, everytime! :P
Seriously? I'll give it a go when I get home. (I had to give up with it and take a different car to work).
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Whilst a bit of key wiggling might fix it temporarily, the contacts in the ignition switch are burning out. The proper fix is to install a relay under the steering column shrouds to take the load off the ignition switch (as factory fitted by Citroen on the MK2!). You should be able to turn up loads of posts on a forum search - I used to have a wiring diagram for it, but think I have lost it now - I can make a new one up though easy enough if you want one. In fact I may do a helpful hints post this evening as SWMBO is out....
Richard W
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for that Rich. I think I will see if I can get it to last to its next MOT (April, I think) then see what happens there. If it sails through then it will be worth the time and effort to do the mod. If it doesn't then I'll have to consider all options.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Johnny Cogs
My Cars:

Post by Johnny Cogs »

Yeah, sorry, I'm a bit of a get you home style pikey..... Proper jobs are for better weather for me!!! :lol: Keep us posted!!!
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Johnny Cogs wrote:Yeah, sorry, I'm a bit of a get you home style pikey..... Proper jobs are for better weather for me!!! :lol: Keep us posted!!!
Unfortunately Johnny, that's the way I tend to get by as well. So your little tip will hopefully be useful.....until it packs up completely or I get myself motivated to do the mod.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

This thread covers it pretty well: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=17322

Except the link to the wiring diagram won't work any more as geocities is long gone. Not sure I have the diagram anymore - I'll have a look.
Richard W
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for that Rich. I have read the various threads that are linked together and it appears that I need to remove the steering column cover, but to do this I have to take teh steering wheel and airbag off. Is this correct? Is there any way of modding this without doing that? Not at all comfortable with the thought of messing about with airbags.

Cheers
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I've found the diagram, I'll post it up later.

Unfortunately on a MK1 there is no choice but to remove the steering wheel (and airbag!) - unless someone's been there before and not put the screw back in the bottom cowl from the top (top cowl goes around the steering column, and needs to come off first to get to a screw that goes downwards into the bottom cover). It's not too bad getting the wheel off:

Set the steering 90° either way so that you can get access to the bolts in the back.
Take the battery off and go for a cup of tea
Undo the two Torx bolts accessible through the back of the wheel (T40 maybe?) - you might need to cut away the rubber of the wheel to get access.
Lift the airbag clear carefully and unplug it - store it away from the workarea!
Disconnect the radio controls board (bit tricky IIRC)
Mark the wheel and column so you can get it back on in the right place
Undo the steering column nut (21mm deep socket required) - it can be tight! Leave the nut on the end of the thread (important this bit - if you don't you risk smashing your teeth and / or wrecking the wiring to the air bag / radio when it comes free!).
Wiggle / bang from behind the wheel to free it off the splines, remove the nut, then thread through the wires and remove the wheel.
Try not to disturb the rotary connector whilst the wheel is off, otherwise it might end up in the wrong place and break the internals at full lock when refitted.
Refit is reverse of removal.

Sounds a lot, but in reality the cup of tea takes longer than getting it off!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Wiring diagram with info now uploaded: Fan mod wiring diagram
Last edited by RichardW on 24 Jan 2011, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
Richard W
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

RichardW wrote:Wiring diagram with info now uploaded: Fan mod wiring diagram
Could just be me, but the link doesn't appear to work.
The fan started working again when I started the car after work, so I guess that oretty much confirms the contacts.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Penguin wrote:Could just be me, but the link doesn't appear to work.
Should work now.... Think I have had trouble with that before - in Preview the forum capitalises the X in Xantia, but then it doesn't in submit - so I changed the URL on the webserver to match, which it then didn't as it then didn't capitalise the X when I submitted the post :roll:
Richard W
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks Rich. I have downloaded and saved that for future reference.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX