Xantia steering rack

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reservex
My Cars:

Post by reservex »

Thanks Malclom, reading the reply posts it seems that it is the ball joint that has the play in it, so i'm going down that route. Many thanks for your research i'm sure that this will benefit other owners who search for this topic :D
1999 Xantia Estate 1.9TD
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

addo wrote:.nwod edispu si neercs ym esuaceb yaw taht ti nettirw s'eh ,oN
:lol: Addo, as a Graphic Designer I find this a bit disturbing yet hilarious in
equal measure!! :? I guess I could've messed everyone's head up further
by rotating the image through 180º...

Andrew
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

if its vibrating on one end when your stationary apparently its got teflon bushes in the ends of the rack when a rubber boot goes moisture gets in and its the damaged teflon coating which causes friction on the moving parts.

this was explained to me by Martin @ pleidies he also mentioned that it would be a pigof a job to get the rack out to replace the bushes on my S2 xantia. it will have to be done one day though. as a temporary fix

I took off my nearside front wheel and bought a can of lithium grease (not in that order) cut the plastic nossel that came with the grease into two pieces found some green and yellow 1.5mm electrical earthing insulation that slides over 1.5mm copper cable fitted the ends of the plastic noszzel into a length of this insulation to make the nozzel longer used a scalpel to make a very small hole in the rubber boot at the end of the rack inserted the extended nozzel and filled the rubber boot with lithium grease. then I superglued up the little hole I made with scalpel and put some baking powder over the top in modeling we use baking powder as a filler for superglued joints.

in the winter months it still groans a bit but as the weather warms up the noise stops as the grease moves around a bit, the trouble is I need to go full lock on the steering to reverse into my driveway. so cutting corners isnt going to stop the noise forever.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.