Citroen ZX - Fan Blower / Ventilation Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

geb042

Citroen ZX - Fan Blower / Ventilation Problem

Post by geb042 »

Hi - first off, my car is a 1995 ZX 1.9D 5dr Hatchback without air con.

The fan heater is controlled by three dial knobs covering fan on/off/speed, temperature and air direction.

Whilst on the motorway last night, I had the heater on a very low temperature but without the fan actually on i.e. letting the force of the car's movement push the air into the cabin. The air speed was equivalent to setting speed 1 on the fan speed dial (low).

As there was a bad smell outside I turned the fan switch anticlockwise from the 0/off position to the setting that stops the fab blowing in air from outside.

The problem was that when I went to move the switch dial back to position 0 (to let fresh air back in) the switch dial became stiff and jammed. Using force, it's possible to turn it to get the fan on, but the clicks/knotches for the speed settings are vague and it's difficult to turn back off. the other problem is that even thougn the fan comes on, it doesn't blow any air into the cabin at all.

It seems that the air recirculation flap is stuck shut, which is a real headache as without any fresh air coming into the cabin it's impossible to demist the windows.

I'm already braced for the hassle of having to take the radio out / air vent trim / centre console out to get at the switches (memories of renewing the bulbs behing the dash live large!). However, I was wondering if someone has had this problem before and sorted it out (if so how?)

Haynes doesn't give any detail about the flap, although it does mention the cables and that replacing these involves taking the whole dashboard out!! Is this a common fault and is there any way to avoid having to remove the dash???

Help!
geb042

Post by geb042 »

Well, had a look at it today and it seems the actual cable to the flap that let's air into the cabin is ok, but the concentric mechanism on the cam of the fan switch isn't working properly. Looks like a new control panel may be needed.

Thankfully, on this occasion the dash didn't need to be taken out!