Clutch cable change on Synergie

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

naffa
My Cars:

Clutch cable change on Synergie

Post by naffa »

Sorry in advance for what may seem a rambling post.

As posted elsewhere I needed to get the clutch changed on the Synergie and the clutch change was done at a reputable garage.

They phoned me though and said that I needed a new clutch cable fitting. It was only replaced in late December by another garage.

The garage that replaced the clutch said the cable was locked in one position and therefore not adjusting.
I took the cable back to the garage that supplied and fitted it and they said that before removing the cable from the lever on the gearbox it should be clamped or locked off so that the inner cable cant go back into the outer cable, which it cannot be released from.

I'm wondering if this is true or if they are trying to get out refunding the cost of the cable they supplied and fitted.

If its right I'll obviously get back to the garage that fitted the clutch and try to get a refund for the cost of the clutch cable, if not then I'll go back to the garage that fitted the cable last month for which they charged me nearly £90.

Appreciate your replies on this one folks.

Thanks Nathan
Cheers Nath.
1998 Synergie petrol.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Note: I have not seen a cable on one of these.

I can say that on other PSA models, the cable is self adjusting with a middle 'section' that contains the adjuster itself.

These are usually reliable and do not need to be replaced very often, they can fail but not that often.

What you describe sounds like some of the VW cables that 'have' to be locked (they have a clip on the cable as the adjuster is at the transmission end) otherwise you do need a new one as its not reset-able.

It is possible its locked though, although that's quite rare. If you (or get someone else) to take it off the transmission release arm end and pull it it should make a ratchet noise and spring back.

I'd wait and see what others have to say first though, I'm just posting my general thoughts as I have not seen a cable on these, it is possible they changed the type.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Please read my other posting on Synergie Clutch Cable .

Nothing has to be locked off etc. fit new cable to pedal end first , then gearbox end , pump pedal a few times and bingo !

Unless the clutch is faulty ?