X Reg Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

templestar

X Reg Xantia

Post by templestar »

Hello all,

Found this forum by chance from a Youtube video - looks like a great source of information.

I used to own a Xantia some years back, and currently drive a BMW Series 1 - but with tough times ahead I fear this year am looking to get back to some economical motoring - and I used to love how much of a smooth & comfortable ride the Xantia gave me (especially with so many Pot Holes around these days!)

I am purchasing an X Reg HDI SX Xantia this weekend. The car has had one owner, has been serviced by a Citroen main dealer every 10,000 miles and has only just clocked up 79,000 miles.

Cam Belt was changed at 69,000 with receipts for proof.

I'm not totally clued up with cars, but anything obvious I should be looking out for potential danger signs with the car or anything I should ask.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Scott
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Welcome back to the fold, it seems you have found a good one !
The most obvious thing to check is the suspension ! Make sure it raises and lowers correctly and is soft and compliant. With the engine running and suspension settled to ride height push the back and front down, each end should push down easily and return softly. If hard the spheres will need changing.
Again with the engine running and bonnet up listen for a click from the pressure regulator, if there is a frequent click, more than every 30 secs or so, the accumulator sphere will also need replacing.
Check air con function, make sure the remote locking works, check that the code card is with the car, check the ventilation blower fan works on all settings and there is a good flow of air from the vents.
On the test drive make sure engine response is smooth and look for smoke from the exhaust. HDI's smoke very little, so if there is noticeable smoke there could be a problem.
Last edited by HDI on 13 Jan 2011, 12:41, edited 2 times in total.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
colski
My Cars:

Post by colski »

Welcome Scott :D

Sounds like a very good buy :D

Low mileage diesel Xantia's are getting harder to find these days.

Good news that the cambelt has been changed.

Xantia's are great cars (i'm on my 3rd now :lol: )

Might be worth checking when the spheres and LHM fluid were last changed?
templestar

Post by templestar »

Thank you for the replies guys :D

Am looking forward to owning one. I will print this off and take with me to view car.

With regards to the radio - and fitting my own (xantia has tape player) is it a standard connection?

I know with a VW in the past have had to buy an aerial power metal booster thing (clunky fitting in behind dash)
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

X Reg Xantia

Post by davygr22 »

Scott,
You will need a fascia adaptor plate if you fit a non standard unit into the Xantia - they are available on eBay for around £10.00.Also,if you want to retain the steering wheel remote control facility, an adaptor loom can be bought - but bear in mind this is specific for the model of unit you put into the car.I have seen these on the net for circa £20.00.
I saw your purchase advertised & did some checking on its service history with the servicing Citroen dealer - they were very helpful & confirmed the history -car had been well maintained by the former owner - a big plus for a Xantia!!
I bought a second Xantia Activa model but had considered the HDi you have acquired....Good luck!!!
David.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

MK2's don't require a fascia plate adapator as the radio is DIN Std anyway. I've got a Kenwood head unit in mine that works with the remote controls - mind you the adaptor cost nearly as much as the radio! And it stopped working after a year, but a period with the battery off seems to have cured it!
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Yes they DO..

It completely depends which Stereo you have.. there was 3 options in the S2 cars. LX Standard tape deck, which is a standard DIN stereo. Or a Single slot CD Player standard DIN unit, or the useual 6 disk CD changer with the full front Xantia DIN Clarion unit, and multi changer in the boot.

My S2 has the multi changer and standard head unit. You will know, as the standard DIN units have a Flap that covers the radio.

S2 cars are rather nicer then S1 cars, they are quiter, and personally, better built.. being an SX car, its the perfect Spec, with the ordinary suspension, NON Hydractive.. simpler setup.

The best way to check the regulator sphere is put the suspension right to the top setting, if the accumilator sphere is "Flat" the regulator will tick constantly as the suspension reaches the top setting...

Check heat comes through at the earlyest time, HDi's DO take about 4 miles before the needle starts to move, but there should be heat comming through before the needle moves up. If the heater is weak when the cars up to temp, then theres work ahead.

However, from the sounds of it, with confirmed FSH, the coolant should have been kept on top of, and be in tip top order. Head gasket problems are virtually non-exsistant on the HDi units, due to a standard Laminated Gasket fitted, and possibly an improoved system.

I ve got an L reg TD, P reg V6, and a T, V and a X reg HDis (All 110bhp). The T reg is mums, the X for sale when fixed. I love them, as well as the XM's.

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The mention of the heater has just reminded me of another item to check, leaks from the heater matrix !
Check the carpets at the front of both front footwells for dampness and strange smell, if this is discovered the matrix is leaking and it's probably the worst job of all to do on a Xantia ! VERY expensive to have done at a garage and a total PIG to DIY !
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Its not a Pig DIY.... .......... depending how many you've done, theres some nice short cuts..

I think an S2 is easyer to do then an S1...

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Its quite a simple job I've found.

Just time consuming and some fiddly bits.

At least you can strip half the dash down and still drive the car, which is handy.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

citroenxm wrote:Its not a Pig DIY.... .......... depending how many you've done, theres some nice short cuts..

I think an S2 is easyer to do then an S1...

Paul
Maybe I should have said if it's the first you've done :wink:
Still not exactly a pleasure to do though !
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
paulbx
My Cars:

Check if its 90 or 110 bhp

Post by paulbx »

Some early Mark 2's are 90 bhp (no intercooler) - - My x reg Estate is a 90 bhp - 110 would have been nice (I knew this when I bought BTW)

Paul
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

ALL S and T plate HDi's should be 110bhp, as the 2.1 TD 110bhp XUD was replaced FIRST by the HDi in 110bhp guise... If you opted for 90bhp, you got the XUD engine.

Its from Late T to V, W, X and Y's that you get either 90 or 110bhp engines, though I think the run out XUD's were still an option in the buyers choice.

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Open the rear doors and check the seam where the outer skin is welded on the rear seat part of the rear wheel arches.
MK2 hatchbacks rust here like estates do, but MK1 hatchbacks normally don't.
Also, on the passenger side, imagine where the fuel filler would be if it were that side. Gently push around that area, it should be firm not spongy/flexible.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
colski
My Cars:

Post by colski »

Xac wrote:Also, on the passenger side, imagine where the fuel filler would be if it were that side. Gently push around that area, it should be firm not spongy/flexible.

I've seen a few Xantia's with rust in this area, why should that be a weak spot on the bodywork I wonder?