Help I lost the "Sound proofing"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Help I lost the "Sound proofing"

Post by MTND »

Hi All

I was going down the A14 this evening and heard a noise where I drove over something! Upon investigation when I got home I found I'd lost the "sound proofing" from under the engine bay.
Can anyone let me know what problems this may cause me? I'm going to drop into Duxford if I can tomorrow to get them to have a look and see if they can help but I am also after any advice you can give please?

Cheers

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

A lot of XM owners remove them as they believe it corrodes the subframe as it traps the salt and grime between the cover and the car.

The one I had fell off my 306, I did a further 66k miles in it and it was still showing no signs of problems when I sold it.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

I wouldn't worry too much, but worth checking that no damage was done when the under-tray/under-shield fell off.

Bought my car at 3 yrs old. It may have had an under-tray when it left the factory, but it's never had one in my ownership. Now you won't have to remove it to change the engine oil! If my car had an under-tray, then I'd have always refitted it, on the basis that citroen designers considered it necessary to provide one in the first place.

I think there may have been discussion on the Forum in the past about pros & cons of the tray/shield
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xantidote wrote: I think there may have been discussion on the Forum in the past about pros & cons of the tray/shield
There was. I believe the conclusion was that the only effect was to reduce the oil temperature on diesels by a few degrees...

This was the thread, the undertray was only tangentially mentioned...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

The undertray as factory fitted to 2.5 XM diesels had a wide strip of foam at the top edges. This seals between the tray and the front sub frame.
The subframe is not galvanised just painted black. It is also made up of lots of thin section steel sheet. The foam is OPEN cell structure so it fills up with water, (salt water in winter) and forms optimum rusting conditions.
On one of my XM's I got caught out.
The rusty sub frame got so bad it was just visible outside the undertray.
So the MOT man found the rust and failed the car.
The "catch 22" came when he also advised that if the car came back with that subframe weld repaired he was duty bound to fail it again.
His logic was that the subframe was a suspension component which may not be weld repaired under MOT rules.
Totally changed my views on XM undertrays.

John
Xmexclusive