bx clutch again!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sue

bx clutch again!

Post by sue »

hi everybody,thanks for the response.as a matter of fact,I got the little part for the clutch release arm today from my local dealer,who just happened to have one in a big box of obscure and dusty old bits,and it cost 74p!but now we have another problem.we got the new clutch kit,but the release bearing is the wrong size and won't fit into the arm.it's about 1\4 inch too small.i checked with the shop i bought it from and they got me another one in,which is exactly the same-too small.what can we do?the arm looks the same as the one pictured in the haynes manual.does anyone have any ideas?thanks.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Sue -
There are 2 types af release bearings around for the BX clutch - related to yearmodel.
one type is plastic carrier - only fit's later setups
other type is steel carrier - only fits early setups.
A previuos owner may have done repairs - using parts not correct for the yearmodel - thereby confusing matters.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A very important point on Clutches from brand Valeo :
Appearently Valeo lately changed their part no system - which seems to give problems getting the right bits. That was the case with clutch for an '89 BX19RD I bought lately (local source) - had the clutch kit returned 2 times - before I got it right - despite the label on the box.
In both instances it was the release bearing not being correct type.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yes Anders,
The Valeo catalogue and indeed the Citroen microfiche is very poor on BX clucthes, both claiming a change in 1989 when reverse gear went from "left and up" to "right and down" (opposite reverse).
Its not the case at all.
Heres the easy way to get the correct clutch for BX 16/19 and diesels (not applicable to GTi and 16v & TD obviously)
If the clutch lever arm is the type that bolts on to the top of the gearbox = <b>Metal Release Bearing</b> Valeo 006745 petrol, 003501 disels.
If the clutch lever arm is the type that does not bolt on, and is fixed to the metal rod running right through the bellhousing <b>Plastic Release Bearing</b> Valeo 801258 petrol 801290 diesel.
(I'd also add that most people fit the diesel clutch to Petrol BX's these days as they last longer and no modification needed to make them fit)
I've seen 1993/4 BX's with the "early" metal bearing. As I say, if someone asks me for a clutch for a BX, I ignore the car's age and gearbox type (BE3 etc) and just ask them what type of lever arm is fitted.
[^]
sue

Post by sue »

many thanks to everyone who responded to my previous posts.the clutch is now in and the car's running great!it was a **** of a job though and we wouldn't want to do it again in a hurry!