Dismantle and clean height correctors?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Dismantle and clean height correctors?

Post by Xaccers »

I've been wondering, with the age of our Xantias, and in many cases the lack of LHM/Hydroflush throughout most of their lives prior to our ownership, would it be an idea to dismantle and clean the height correctors (not the links but the actual hydraulic units)?

Of those of you who have dismantled HCs, what was the condition inside?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it most certainly would.

I went to see Xantiaman's Activa yesterday and diagnosed very lazy height correctors as the core of his problems.

I've seen the same on my project Activa, Rattiva, that initially had a very slow response to height changes and no response to requests for small changes.

After stripping and cleaning the height corrector valve, which is surprisingly easy, the difference was like night and day.

The nub of the problem is that height correctors are damped so that they are slow to react in order to avoid rapid height changes and oscillations. The damping is achieved by passing LHM via a stack of discs to the opposite end of the valve. The stack of discs slows the flow.

Dirt gathers between the discs and slows the flow even more. Hydraflush seems not able to reach this area very effectively and the only way is to strip the corrector, wash the disc stack and housing in petrol, blow-dry and reassemble.

The difference will be found to be amazing, especially if the height corrector cradle mechanism is given a thorough clean and lube at the same time.

If there's a demand, I'll do a photo sequence to describle the overhaul of a height corrector.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

*demands*

:D

I would imagine on an activa it would also be an idea to do the roll corrector too.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: I would imagine on an activa it would also be an idea to do the roll corrector too.
Well, yes as whilst you are having the front corrector off, it's easy to get the roll corrector off as well but actually it's unlikely to be a problem as it is undamped for instant response and therefore doers not have a stack of discs. It is otherwise identical. The most important thing with a roll corrector is to make sure it's quadrant mechanism is very free to move in all planes and directions.

Right, better do a guide then...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

My roll corrector was a bit sluggish as well wasn't it?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

XantiaMan wrote:My roll corrector was a bit sluggish as well wasn't it?
It seemed pretty much Ok to me Gareth. You may not have seen the wheels moving much but when I was underneath and working it the ram responded instantly. I can also confirm your quadrant is nice and free too :D
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think Shane in Ballarat has a height corrector "strip and clean" page.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

I had a Xm here where the front height corrector wasn't responding to any inputs from the height selector. Pulling and pushing the metal socket on the end of the height corrector made it respond very slowly.

A strip, clean and rebuild cured the problem, it was black inside with dirt. Removing and fitting the height corrector is fiddlier and more time consuming than cleaning and rebuilding the height corrector.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
sdelasal

Post by sdelasal »

Are there parts in the height corrector that can break or wear, requiring a replacement unit ... or will a strip & clean cure all known ailments? Steve
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if this link works itr shows a break down of every part for a BX H/C ,

which might still availible adn most of the corector specific parts are identical to all hydraulic citroens except some??? of the D's

it does not give the same detail for a XANT,

http://service.citroen.com/docprdp/affi ... 3003435110&
refaff=1230%2003%20435110

regards malcolm
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

unfortunatly seperate parts are no longer available for the height correctors so my dealer tells me, its mainly the rubber boot that can split other than that there is nothing to go wrong, they do hold dirt like mad though, alll the ones ive cleaned have been awefull, but the end result is always faster reaction times.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree D

all the H/C's i have ever striped have been full of sludge,

but if you ask for parts for a BX they might still be availible,

i just does not even give the option of a break down for the XANT H/C,

regards malcolm
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

im not sure Malcolm, i say this because i recently needed some pressure regulator parts for the activa, no exploded diagram was available so i said look up the xm one, there was an exploded parts drawing for this but still no parts available, even tried the bx PR and although it had the parts listed none were available :cry:
I would like to be proved wrong though! cant even get the rebuild kits with the filters for FDV's now either.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

The LHM fluid that came out of mine was filthy. Bet mine need cleaning. Would love a guide posting. Not even sure where the height correcters are to be honest!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i know D but all the same its a usefull drawing,

and i do still agree as im the first person to say the H/C very seldon fails, but just need a good clean through,

they are very simple to disect to,

once you find them that is :wink:

there is one each end and if you follow the manual hight adjuster rod front to back down the centre of the under side of the car, you will find them,

regards malcolm