Brake problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Smalltower
My Cars:

Brake problem

Post by Smalltower »

I'm done with sorting out the other brake problems and now have hydroflush in my 1994 Xantia. Next week I'll put new LHM in.
I still have a problem on thr right front wheel. When I bled the brakes I noticed that this wheel had much less pressure than the other 3. I also took out the pads to sand them down a little because this wheel makes a grinding sound when braking (disks are fine). I noticed that one of the pads is more worn and glased (fealt very smooth) than the other.
The grinding noise dissapeared for a while but is now back. I suspect that the pad is glased again and it could be due to the lack of pressure to this wheel. Any suggestions as to what could be causing the problem?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Sounds like a problem with the brake caliper, the piston may be sticking.
surfer
My Cars:

Post by surfer »

The front calipers are of single piston sliding design and these often produce uneven wear on the pads.
They are also more prone to seizure than twin piston calipers; as Jon says, you may find that is is sticking.
Simon.
Smalltower
My Cars:

Post by Smalltower »

Would this also explain the difference in pressure between the other wheels and the right front?
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

I think the handbrake cable may also be a possible cause.
Mark_sp
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

what I meant to say is that the handbrake cable may be a cause of the uneven wear I've experienced this on a bx.
If there is a significant difference in pressure to the front brakes then this must be noticable when driving, the car pulling to the higher pressure side when braking (hard)or maybe the abs working to compensate ?
If you could get the car to an mot station they could measure the braking force at each wheel.
another possibility is that the bleed nipple simply isn't allowing the same level of flow.
mark_sp