Synergie woes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

naffa
My Cars:

Synergie woes

Post by naffa »

A few days ago we strted to get a high pitched squeal when reversing, also got the smell of burning clutch when reversing.
At around the same time the clutch action started to feel different and inconsistent and we were getting quite a juddering through the car when pulling away.
My first thought was that the clutch needed changing but I didn't have time to take it to the garage 'til today.
The mechanic drove it and initially thought there was at the least a broken engine mount and the clutch was heavy.
He got the car up on the ramp and commented on an oil leak which I knew could have only just started.
Looking underneath it was obvious that the oil was coming from between the engine and bellhousing so it seems that the crankshaft oil seal is fubar'd.
Anyway theres no sign of a broken engi ne mount but, and its a big but, there are a number of bolts missing that hold the bellhousing to the engine and the engine and 'box are seperating hence the awful juddering.
I've parked the car up not to be used again 'til Tuesday when I take it to the garage for repairs, I dont wonna cause any further damage.
Its likely the clutch will need changoing due to oil contamination and together with replacing the crankshaft oil seal I'll have a bill in the region of £310.
Be good to have the car driving right though.
I prefer it loads more than the previous Galaxys I've had.
Cheers Nath.
1998 Synergie petrol.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nath, that's bad. there's only about five bolts to start with!!!

The big worry is if the threads are OK where the bolts have come loose. Fretting might have damaged them but they should be able to be recovered by Helicoiling.

The oil leak is most likely gearbox oil. It's unlikely the crank seal has gone but all that misalignment and juddering may well have seen off the gearbox input shaft oil seal. This is a much more straightforward seal to replace than the crank seal.

Someone clearly forgot to correctly torque the bellhousing bolts when the clutch was last changed.

Hope it all works out well....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You might find that once you have the gearbox bolted on again the leak will stop and the clutch could burn the oil off.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

You WILL know if its gear oil, from the Awfull VERY strong stench of it!

Engine oil doesn;t smell, and is useually turning black..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

once the gearbox is out the effort of removing the flywheel to get to the crank seal isn't that great.
On the HDIs you are supposed to fit new flywheel bolts but I don't know about the others.
Also if it's an HDI you can buy a solid flywheel and get rid of the DMF now.
Done it all on my own 806 HDI
naffa
My Cars:

Post by naffa »

Thanks chaps, its a 2.0 petrol and its definitely engine oil thats leaking not transmission fluid.
I'm hoping that as the leak has only just started it wont have damaged the clutch assembly but until its stripped down there's no real way of knowing is there.
Cheers Nath.
1998 Synergie petrol.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If its from behind the flywheel, then theres a slight chance it wont have, but, the box and clutch has to come off to investigate...

PAul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
naffa
My Cars:

Post by naffa »

Well I'm gonna ask the lads not to change the clutch assembly unless absolutely necessary, but I trust their judgment and if they say it needs doing it'll be done. :)
Cheers Nath.
1998 Synergie petrol.
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

surely if you are going to all the effort of getting the gearbox off it's worth putting at least a new centre plate on.