ZX Brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chizzy
My Cars:

ZX Brakes

Post by chizzy »

Is it normal for the rear pads to only sweep/polish a 25mm sector of the discs? I think Dave Burns has suggested EBC pads on the rear. If I opt for this route will I need to change the rear discs to give the softer pads a chance since my existing discs have c. 25mm of rust after the current contact sector? The front discs will soon need replacing does anyone recommend the Brembo Max discs from GSF with EBC green pads?
Cheers in advance.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Chizzy -
The problem with the rear brakes are that they almost never have to do proper braking work - allowing for rust to build up on the discs.
It's common to any car having rear disc brake system.
I think you should stick to the original brake parts for your Citroen - which are Bendix parts.
You won't gain anything in daily use using performance parts - unless you are a Rally track driver with your car in the evenings - exposing your brakes to extreme work (well - may be advantageous to keep up your rear brakes [:D][:D])
It may well be advantageous to follow DaveB's advice - using the softer material EBC pads on rear - but replace the rear discs - the rusty ones you have will quickly rub down your new softer pads.
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Thanks Anders
As brakes go I've always thought the ZX was fine unlike others on this forum believe. I have always used good tyres too. However if there is a simple mechanical way of increasing the stopping power I'm open to suggestions.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Genuine Citroen pads are ok on the back if you drive like every other maniac on the road, but as your disc's are rusting up I can tell that you don't, so you definately do need softer pads there.
I had two sets of rear disc's buggered by using original pads on the xantia, on those occasions there was only about a 10mm track around the disc that were rust free, fortunately the car was still under warranty so didn't give a toss, but now I'm paying I don't have those bloody things on anymore.
Anyone that can keep a shiney disc with them is a hard driver on the brakes, compared to me at any rate.
Dave
chizzy
My Cars:

Post by chizzy »

Dave
Thanks for the vote of confidence re. my driving, I'll use it in my defence next time my girlfriend starts talking like a pedestrian!
Are non OE discs worth a try front and rear?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

No doubt there are some good non descript discs about, problem is finding them, often less hassle in the long run to just bite the bullet and stick known good quality kit on.
Dave