98 Xantia Radiator Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DublinChris
My Cars: 1998 Series 2 - 1.9TD owned from '98 216,000+ miles
Previously BX19DTR, BX19TD, BX19TZD

98 Xantia Radiator Replacement

Post by DublinChris »

Going to do a replacement of radiator on 98 Xantia series 2 turbo diesel. Friend of mine with knowledge is going to do work, however just wondering if there is anything peculiar to this model to watch out for.

Thanks in advance :)
Let the good times roll

current every day 1998 Xantia turbo diesel 1905cc series 2
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Watch the horrid clamps fastening the hoses and plan to replace them with
normal jubilee clamps instead. Access to raise the rad out requires the
battery and it's support tray removed.

Andrew
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Cheaper to just by a replacement rad than repair the old one was it ?
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:Cheaper to just by a replacement rad than repair the old one was it ?
Leaking at bottom seam on battery side. Tried Radweld as temp repair slowed it but still drips a bit so thought best to replace.
Let the good times roll

DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

andmcit wrote:Watch the horrid clamps fastening the hoses and plan to replace them with

Andrew
:D Great all this will help - no point wading in and discovering these things for myself when its been done before! :wink:
Let the good times roll

DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:Cheaper to just by a replacement rad than repair the old one was it ?
your current one is the silver 98? You Dublin? Mine's 98D and silver :)
Let the good times roll

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Kildare ...have a look at my blog and see if shes the same :wink:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
DublinChris

Post by DublinChris »

XantiaDaveEire wrote:Kildare ...have a look at my blog and see if shes the same :wink:
:)
:) Yip thats pretty close! Mine was first regd Feb 1998. Only diff I can see is that I have a colour coded boot spoiler.
All else the same including the black bumpers/trim.

Have owned mine since 1998!

Have not really been using car much recently. Was going to sell her because had other transport - my main being a company van. Held back from sale, however I now have to put her back on road as bank going to take back van! I dont own van belongs to another company.

Having dug Xantia out from under snow and put battery in I have discovered she has suffered a bit fom lying up. Main issues are the ABS light which was not on prior to me taking battery out before XMAS but came on after reconnecting battrey and has stayed on - bit of pain as she is booked in for NCT Monday 10th - now if only I could get bulb out!! Also paint work has suffered from lack of TLC. :shock:
The other issue is the rad. It has rusted on that bottom edge - you can see it externally. I have been driving around these last few days and there is minimal loss of coolant and temp gauge is all good. Did put in the radweld as stop gap and will check out replacement rad on tues morn + try get nct test put back a week or so.

She had been reg serviced prior to all this but then work/income has suffered last 2 years and being self employed you watch all the outgoings - I am sure you understand all the crap we are going through right now. Thats why going to have go at the change myself.

I have to say that apart from the comfort and was not to keen on the C5 shape etc I stayed with the Xantia - like the "wedge" shape. I like the engine characteristics with great pulling power at 60 - 70 mph when overtaking. Did take her to France Spain back in early 2000's .

A lot of neg sentiment from other motorists to Citroen make but anyone who gets in for a lift usually comments on comfort and expresses surprise.
Also compared to my previous Xsara van I can get way more into Xantia - up to 2.5M length.

I think if I was to get another Citroen it would have to be the C6 it has the look and keeps the classic citroen lines - they will probably come up very cheap soon even though they did come down quickly from the rediculous launch price :lol:

I will keep an eye out for you on the road 8-)
Let the good times roll

XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Yeah the C6 is nice,its just the tax would be a joke on the bloody thing :roll:

Il keep my eye out for ya too :wink:

Ware in Dublin are ya ?

Dave
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
DublinChris

Xantia Radiator

Post by DublinChris »

andmcit wrote:Watch the horrid clamps fastening the hoses and plan to replace them with

Andrew
Hi Andrew
Replaced the radiator on car and the tip re battery tray and also airbox worked well. Surprised how smoothly it all went. Got the rad from GSF Parts.

However on the top hose there was quite a build up of sediment and we cleaned this off. There does not appear to be an O ring type seal on top hose it is just a push in fit with the usual clips. All was going well refilling until we spotted a bleed from top hose where it goes into plastic on rad. Just wondering if I have any options to repair as the complete new part is out of stock and could be couple weeks getting here?

Update
Discovered that dealer was trying to sell me the complete hose with seal!

Dealer said bottom hose seals sold loose but top seal comes with pipe.

Anyway measured everything up and found top and bottom hoses to be the same. So just bought a few seals at € 2.40 for 3 seals. Fitted new top seal and all is good. The rad was bought from GSF parts supplier - its a Valeo item and cost € 148.50 + coolant + seals - so all parts at under €200 total. Time for 2 of us doing work was total 2 hours and that was initially feeling our way around for first 45 mins. Refitting etc went smoothly and if seal had not been problem then we would have been under the 2 hours total.

Good satisfying result.

Chris