Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Baldy-Old-Troll

Thanks and Happy New Year to all!

Post by Baldy-Old-Troll »

I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year, and to say thanks to all who post such useful information on this forum. My speedo on my C5 died last week , so I checked the forum for info and was able to use that to diagnose a failure of the head motor, most likely the gearing. I checked the local main stealer for parts availability, and was told the motor is not available on its own, have to buy the whole display, £600 or £700 please! So a quick trip to my local scrappy and £25 later I had a set of clocks. I removed one of the motors from the scrappy set and used it to replace the faulty one on my C5, It worked perfectly, so thanks for all the time and effort you all go to to post this valuable information. If it is of interest to anyone the reason for the failure on my motor was that the pivot pin for the green sprocket had snapped.

Thanks

Stuart.
Last edited by Baldy-Old-Troll on 01 Jan 2011, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Bit late now but almost certainly the failure of the original motor was due to shearing of the plastic shaft that carries the intermediate gear (green on mine bur could be other colour) The shaft can be replaced by a suitable sized drill bit as close to 1.15 mm dia as you can find, you use the drill to carefully drill the plastic case to hold the new spindle and then snap the shank off the drill to use as the spindle, blob of epoxy on each end job done cost about 25P.

EDIT
Should have read the OP more carefully as regards the failure :-(

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Baldy-Old-Troll

Speedo gear repair

Post by Baldy-Old-Troll »

Thanks for the details of the repair, I'll probably try it on the damaged motor, but I just replaced the motor as I needed the car fixed asap. It's posts like that which I really appreciate, clear ,concise instructions as to what is wrong and how to fix it .Thanks again.

Stuart