Code P1637?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

This may be stupid if so please ignore me. Is it a 'real' code, could it be that it's wrong because it was read with a non Lexia?

I'll be interested to know the outcome of this so I hope you'll keep the thread up to date with any new info.

Good luck with it.

Steve.
not applicable
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

steelcityuk wrote:This may be stupid if so please ignore me. Is it a 'real' code, could it be that it's wrong because it was read with a non Lexia?

I'll be interested to know the outcome of this so I hope you'll keep the thread up to date with any new info.

Good luck with it.

Steve.
The code as described is the way it will be read by a generic OBDC reader. The OBDC spec lists some codes that will be the same for all cars, however there are ranges of codes which are manufacturer specific i.e as I understand it a given code could mean completely different things on different cars.
According to my source :-
http://www.pikit.co.uk/peugeotmt/psa%20 ... codes.html this is a PSA code and there is a description for it I guess that it's not impossible that it could mean different things on a Pug to a Cit although I think that unlikely the Lexia will / does give the correct description for the car it is testing.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No progress with it yet, must sort the intake problem out as it is deteriorating steadily.
Takes ages to fire after being stood for >6 hours but OK after that.
Needs warming up for five minutes before it will develop full power and even then seems to be wanting.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not much progress to report.
It still takes a while to start first time each day, depending on how long since last use. Often brings on the Antipollution indicator, as it did today. Was rubbish for the first two miles, max 30mph, then as I was passing a "Slow Down" sign it shot up to 70 :? Been fine since and Aunty Pollution is gone (for a while, at least)
Still haven't fitted the new filter or redirected the air induction hose :(

There is a definite whistling now that would appear to indicate an air leak.

My excuse is recurrent illness and the sticking brakes that needed first freeing off, then new front pads, then new handbrake cables that took two days and many problems of a public transport nature, then a new offside caliper. All involving large amounts of cash :( x2

Seriously considering this but having to use a telephone is proving to be a bit of a barrier. Have a buyer for my current one - my wife's boyfriend who's R19 has been more or less condemned.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Had a fiddle around with it and fitted a new air filter, the old one looked like it belonged to Methusela, only a few months old. MAF was a bit green and corroded too.
Pulled the airbox and cleaned it, hoped to alter the way it dragged the air in but that wasn't a goer. Will have to refit undertray and new wheel arch liner ASAP.
Had to remove the air tube between the intercooler and another widget that I am presuming is the EGR? - throttle butterfly type thingy on top of the engine. Intended taking photo's but forgot - just remembered that bit.
The pipes/tubes were clean, just slightly oily.
After reassembly had a listen for air leaks but couldn't hear anything although it is quite audible under load.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Gave the car an early service, quick and easy, then came the fitting of the new wheel arch liner and undertray. Car has been used by my daughter the last couple of weekends so I haven't had the opportunity before yesterday.
Who'd have thought that that would be such a pain.

The clips I bought didn't work and they only had three in stock anyway.
My nuts'bolts were locked up in my other daughter's house so ended up using some odd PVC door fixings and self tappers, can't see them enduring too long but I need a lot of it off to sort the washer pump anyway.

I have noticed that after a few starts the antipollution fault clears, only to return, usually early morning when starting is slow. If the car is then used for even a few short (5 miles-ish) trips, it clears and the car runs fairly well.

Boost still only from 3,000revs and the car is still hopeless for the first few miles until it warms up a bit.

Be interesting to see if the wheel arch liner has any effect other than keeping water and grit out of the airbox.

There is a clear whistle now while driving but I can't locate the source.
Had a bit of a :shock: moment yesterday when I whizzed it up the motorway a few miles to get the oil hot enough to change, very weird moaning noise that drowned out the whistle that turned out to be roof bars I had fitted to transport ladders from work - I'm supposed to be erecting a TV antenna for my eldest daughter.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Gave in and chucked a new battery in it yesterday, it was taking longer and longer to start despite the weather being significantly warmer.
Except for last Saturday when it started on the button, and Friday night after I had ordered the battery.

New battery on following the prescribed sequence and it started (rather slowly) and all was OK - worryingly so as the only thing it 'forgot' was the date and time, nothing else needed resetting. Maybe the radio but I never use it so don't care about that.

Will be resetting the date and time as soon as the clocks go forward - well, within a month or two anyway :)

Been out in it today and it does seem slightly better but still gutless until warmed up.

Even washed it. Had it done at work a couple of weeks ago, a 'waterless wash' that left some residue on the screen that made the wipers largely ineffective, car was filthy again by the following morning too.

When hosing it down it was clear that there was a waxy/oily coating particularly on all the glass, pleased that that is now gone - a good dose of Glasg'ae Brandy after the wash.
:drink:

Discovered some slight rust on the tailgate! :yikes:

Horrors! Just like a Golf - or Mercedes - or F**d :help2:
The Birdman
My Cars:

Post by The Birdman »

myglaren wrote:Gave in and chucked a new battery in it yesterday, it was taking longer and longer to start despite the weather being significantly warmer.
Except for last Saturday when it started on the button, and Friday night after I had ordered the battery.

New battery on following the prescribed sequence and it started (rather slowly) and all was OK - worryingly so as the only thing it 'forgot' was the date and time, nothing else needed resetting. Maybe the radio but I never use it so don't care about that.

Will be resetting the date and time as soon as the clocks go forward - well, within a month or two anyway :)

Been out in it today and it does seem slightly better but still gutless until warmed up.

Even washed it. Had it done at work a couple of weeks ago, a 'waterless wash' that left some residue on the screen that made the wipers largely ineffective, car was filthy again by the following morning too.

When hosing it down it was clear that there was a waxy/oily coating particularly on all the glass, pleased that that is now gone - a good dose of Glasg'ae Brandy after the wash.
:drink:

Discovered some slight rust on the tailgate! :yikes:

Horrors! Just like a Golf - or Mercedes - or F**d :help2:
Did you lose code for radio or just couldn`t be bothered resetting the stations?
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is no radio code - the radio is coded to the car using the VIN.
Just don't like radios so won't bother with it.
boristhespie
My Cars:

Post by boristhespie »

You travailles are similar to mine. Even the wheel arch and undertray. My wheel arch liner dropped onto wheel so is half melted away while i had to cable tie the undertray. They seem somewhat brittle. Other car lost iys at 70 mph disintegrating it. All the fixing holes are gone.

Will be lexia- ing old car this week again but have probs with newer car. Ho hum. Annoying this not knowing what something is isn't it?
C'est pas possible!
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Steve.

I have read through this with some interest, as I have a customer with a C8 that has more or less the same problems, starts fine but flat as a fart untill warmed up (approx 1 mile or so) once warm the car is drivable but the turbo seems to be a bit lagged.

This all started when another garage fitted a new cambelt, this we thought may be the problem but upon checking, there is nothing wrong in here!

So far we have removed, cleaned and re-fitted the FAP filter, done a FAP regeneration and re-set all codes including the BSI unit, during this, loads of faults have been cured but we still have the cold running problem.

We have a new Air flow meter (MAF) but are still waiting for the customer to pop over to have it fitted. I will post the results.....

In the meantime have you tried looking up the code on www.ilexia.co.uk/forum/ It's one that you need in your favorites folder.

Regards
Martin.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks for the link Martin, will have a trawl through that tonight.

I had the cambelt replaced when I bought the car as it should have been done but there was an element of doubt.
It had been but badly and was redone with new pulleys, tensioners and water pump.

I think that my problems were initiated by the loss of the wheel arch liner and poisoning of the MAF and it hasn't helped that the second one is probably dished too, although since the battery change there do seem to be gradual incremental improvements.
The Antipollution warning appears to have been dismissed now* and the warmup is a little faster, still a rev restriction to about 3,000 most times until it is warmed up and sometimes long after that but more intermittent.
Turbo seems to operate a bit more as it should but a long way from satisfactory yet.

The car has never really been quite as lively as some I have heard described although that may have been a bit of over-enthusiasm.
Fuel economy is always rather poor in comparison to that recorded by others - 32-35 mpg around town.
Some of this is more than likely attributable to my driving, my daughter does much better when she uses it and she isn't known for dawdling around.

My feeling is that there is a common link to all these disparate symptoms.

*I tried to post this this morning but the forum became inaccessible, naturally the Antipollution sign returned when I had to leave work a while back.
Otherwise there does seem to be a gradual improvement.

There is still an unlocated whistle though that must be responsible for something.
Pulled a load of hoses of and they appear to be in first class condition.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It was working well for a while then for the past ten days the Antipollution fault has been flagged almost continually until today when it has been fine since the first two miles this morning, a bit on the sluggish side then.
Following that it has been as it should and the whistle seems to have disappeared after having been much louder the past couple of days.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Antipollution fault permanently flagged over the past couple of weeks after a few days of relatively good behaviour.
Set off for Wetherby yesterday morning and after warming up for a couple of miles the car behaved fairly well most of the time although it did refuse to go any faster than 70mph on an upgrade.

Was worse on the return journey and would max out at 80mph when it eventually got there.

Same driving down again this morning but thanks to the kind incursion by Paul (citroenxm) it is now much improved.

Still needed a warm up before it would go above 40mph but then returned home at 90+.

His Lexia diagnostic did throw up some areas that need attention.
As expected the MAF is goosed and the turbo pressure sensor appears to be that way too.
Also a very sick #3 injector - sure to be the one with the lift sensor too.

It did show the throttle was stuck - can't imagine where that came from.

Many thanks Paul for taking the time to run the diagnostic.

Injectors are said to cost around £250.
did find some for £89 but this looks like a decent price.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here's a picture of Dr. Paul attending to the patient...

Luckily perhaps I've captured here the figures for No.3 injector. I don't know but is that really a sign of severe sickness?

It was an excellent rally today at Wetherby but oh, so windy.. The wind and sun has really caught my face...

EDIT: Figures are:

No.1 -0.43
No.2 -0.20
No.3 +0.82
No.4 -0.27

The figures were readable in the full resolution picture but not when resized and compressed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...