Just bought a C5 Thanks for the advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lucklesspedestrian

Just bought a C5 Thanks for the advice

Post by lucklesspedestrian »

Hi there

I recently posted for the first time here asking for any tips as to what to look out for when buying a C5.

We went to view, test drive and ultimately purchase a nice 2007 clean 2 owner 1.6 HDi VTX from a main Citroen dealer today. The car came with a really comprehensive service history and crucially a 12 month warranty under the approved used Citroen scheme.

Didn't get a hugely long test drive and to be honest it was one of those situations where you are driving about in a strange town, trying not to crash or drive the wrong way up a one way street so it was hard to concentrate on the car.

It did seem like a very quiet, easy smooth ride (I was surprised just how refined it felt!) There were 5 of us (inc the salesman) in the car and it didn't feel hugely undergutted, no ball of fire but perfectly adaquate. The only thing I didn't like much was the lack of room in the footwell to rest my left foot next to the clutch, and the rather long travel on the clutch itself, not too heavy or difficult, just a bit long. The gearshift seems a bit long and a trifle vague but smooth and easy, not obstructive at all and if I'm being picky the seat was a bit squidgy but hey, I know, it's a French car not German! I remember briefly driving a MK1 and that felt much more of a 'bus' than this car.

How long does everyone else take to figure out the secondary controls such as the dual-zone climate and the stereo? I like lots of buttons and displays as much as the next trekkie geek but this akll looks a bit complicated. Still, a high pressure situation like testing/buying a car is probably not the most condusive to instantly sussing out such matters.

Picking the car up on Friday so I'll be able to spend a bit more time on it then.

Does anyone know if the Citroen approved 12 month used warranty applies to all citroen main dealers i.e. can I take it to my local or does it have to go back to where I bought the car?...hope not!

Looks like I've joined the forum then so hello and looking forward to posting regularly!
Steve
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Congratulations! :)

As for finding your way around the secondary controls, I only recently discovered the volume control on the stalk. Had the car - nearly five years :shock:
Most of the other stuff is fairly simple though.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

It's worth spending a while reading through the owner's manual. There are quite a few clever little features which are easily missed otherwise.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Re: Just bought a C5 Thanks for the advice

Post by Trainman »

lucklesspedestrian wrote: Does anyone know if the Citroën approved 12 month used warranty applies to all Citroën main dealers i.e. can I take it to my local or does it have to go back to where I bought the car?...hope not!
Firstly, congratulations on your purchase.

Secondly, Yes, you can take it to any main dealer. I bought my car from a dealer in Warrington and take it to my prefered local dealer (not the nearest, the more pleasent to deal with) in Chorley. My previous C5 was bought in Manchester and again taken to Chorley when it needed to go there.

The only issue I've had was the purchasing dealer not registering the warranty with Citroen UK.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Congratulations on your C5 purchase :)

The VTX+ is a good spec, how are you finding the 1.6HDi?

I find the dash buttons on my S1 C5 very easy to use, didnt take any getting used to. However in the facelift C5 that we have there are more of them, there is an on board computer which works things which buttons work on my C5, yet the facelift has more buttons, a bit odd.

As i drive them both it was a bit confusing at first, but ive got used to where everything is on the facelift now, i dont prefer it to the S1s more simple controls though.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
lucklesspedestrian

Right, I was mistaken, the car is a VTR not a VTX or VTX+ as I first thought!

The 1.6 HDi is really surprising. There's a nice spread of torque low down and since I naturally drive between 2 and 3000 rpm anyway it really suits my driving style. Acceleration is pretty good in normal driving conditions, don't have to change down as much as you would do on a petrol engine to overtake and sitting at 70 on a dual carriageway the engine really is whisper quiet. The average mpg on the trip over the last 6K is 48.6, so that will do me nicely! I also love the (gas?hydraulic?) struts which hold the bonnet up...always had to make to with a metal pole and hook arrangement before!

I am however really struggling to get comfortable! I'm just under 6'2" and have fairly long legs. I seem to be forced into an Italian driving position with my legs bent, knees too far up, not able to stretch out enough even with the seat all thew way back. And that 'foot rest' to the left of the clutch pedal is just a waste of time! I actually find the wife's Focus MkII to be far more comfortable! It would be a real shame if this forced me to get rid of an otherwise excellent car (it looks so good too in dark blue with the subtle chrome trim!). More experimentation required!

I seem to recall someone, somewhere recommending that before you turn the engine off on a turbodiesel to let it idle for a few seconds?...is that still the case?

Keep you posted!

Steve

ps: one other annoyance is the ignition key and the tiny fiddly unlit lock it somehow has to fit into, the design team for that one should be shot!

pps: no, just don't go there!
Steve
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hmm, your the first person i know about who can't get comfortable in a C5!

Im also 6ft 2" and find the C5 one of the most comfortable cars and also offers great space for me. The C5s seats move in all directions, moving the base down gives you more leg room in the front, and making the the steering wheel is set at the right height and distance from you is easy too, as it moved up and down and in and out.

If i get into a C5 which isnt set up for me, it is very uncomfortable and takes me a while to set the seat and wheel to where i want them. But once set ive not found any other car more comfortable in its driving position, maybe an Xm but there isnt much difference.

Why do you say the foot rest is pointless? I dont find it so, i always have my foot on it when im not changing gear.

Getting used to a car and its different driving style can take a while, you might get used to it after tying out the seat adjustment a bit more.

Its recommended that, after a long drive or fast drive, to let the engine idle for a few minutes to let the turbo cool down. Though if you have driven from a motorway and then through a town to your house or whatever it should be cool enough, on motorway service stops it might be an idea, especially in hot weather.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Citroenmad wrote:Hmm, your the first person i know about who can't get comfortable in a C5!

Im also 6ft 2" and find the C5 one of the most comfortable cars and also offers great space for me.
Steve,

Got to say I agree with Chris, I've hasd the C5 and getting comfortable wasn't an issue and I'm 6'4"

It really is a matter of 'playing round' with the seat and steering wheel, and it's surprising how even the most minute movement can alter your level of comfort.
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
lucklesspedestrian

That's reassuring about the seating position chaps, thanks. I'll have a good play about with the seat/steering settings today. The footrest just seems a bit high, I'd much prefer it if it was below the level of the clutch. Still, minor quibble, it might all fall into place when I've got the seat sorted.
Steve
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I guess its just getting used to different cars and their seating positions. They are very comfortable to be in when you have it set correctly for you.

Im sure the footrest is a bit lower than the clutch, but not by much, i guess the thinking was its easier to put your foot back on the clutch if its still at a similar height. Ive not had any problems with that.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10