Xantia 2.1TD No ignition, Help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5 Chris

Xantia 2.1TD No ignition, Help

Post by C5 Chris »

Hi Ideas please.

I had a problem with the internal heater fan and decided to power it from the Cigerette lighter socket. Whilst playing around checking polarity etc the engine just died. I am fairly sure that I did not short anything out and it all may be a coincidence. I have checked all the fuses which is what should have blown if there was a short. I am now very puzzled, there must also be a relay which controls the starter and preheat on the engine but I cannot identify which one it is or where it is on the car.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what has blown. I get no ignition lights and no starter everything else works main lights interior lights etc but no ignition.

Help please
Chris.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have you checked the Maxi Fuses in the engine bay Chris, they're the overgrown ones...

Chances are you've popped one of those.

If need be, Ican supply diagrams. Is it a MK1 or MK2?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
C5 Chris

Post by C5 Chris »

Hi Jim,

Found those and they all check out OK, which is why I wondered if there was a relay which might have blown.
The car is an R reg 96 which I thought was a MK1 as the engine is a "simple" diesel not HDi.
I have heard that the ignition switches are prone to failing but this would be a first for me. This is about the 9th Citroen since the great GSA I ran around in.

Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Does it have a keypad immobiliser Chris? R is right on the cusp so it could be a MK1 or MK2. Easy way to tell: Has it an old fashioned mileometer with mechanical digits or does it have an LCD screen one?

It's important to post up the right diagrams.

As far as I know, there is no relays that would prevent the starter running even if nothing else was alight. Only an automatic has a starter inhibit relay.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
C5 Chris

Post by C5 Chris »

Hi Jim,

Mechanical digits and yes it has an immobilizer which because the ignition circuit is dead I cannot put the code in.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Right, that's a MK1 then. Typical. I have a MK2 2.1TD diagram set already scanned but not a MK1 version. I'll fire up the scanner and do the required. be back in a minute....
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris,

Here's the starter circuit:

MK1 XUD11 Starter Circuit

You will see it's very simple and the only thing between the starter solenoid and ignition switch is maxi-Fuse A.

Here's the Injection Circuit. Fise A is the common factor here too.

First step is to check for voltage at the black plug on the ignition switch. One side is permanent battery and on the other you'll see voltage when the switch is in the start position.

Then with the ignition in the run position, check for 12V on both poles of the grey plug.

Hope that helps Chris... If you need further diagrams, let me know...
Jim

C5 Chris

Post by C5 Chris »

Thanks Jim,

You have confirmed what I have had in my mind all along, I need to get to the ignition and check the voltage going in, it is possible there is a earth or negative fault. Witch is typical Citroen.
When I can get the 6inchs of ice and snow off the car I will have a go.
The only consolation to all this was to go and get myself a C5 which I have always thought I could buy at the right price! if it lasts only half the time as this xantia has I shall be in pocket. Time will tell.

Thanks again for your help

When I find the problem I will post.

Chris