Glow Plug Relay

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BarmyDragon
My Cars:

Glow Plug Relay

Post by BarmyDragon »

Just a note to say how glad I am to find this forum that so many questions have been answered for my after browsing through all the posts.
My problem is I phoned my local Citroen dealer and informed them of my starting problems and they told me it was my Glow Plug Relay. So I purchased a new one fitted it and STILL I am having problems ??
The relay still buzzes and all the power in the battery is soon drained. :(
Anyone here have the same problems ? Should I be looking at the possibility that the BATTERY should of been replaced and not the Relay ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Why not tell us a bit more and perhaps someone will be able to help you. In particular its handy to know car model engine type, year of manufacture and so on.
Yes batterys can make a difference to starting. a good one will turn the engine fast for a long time and the lamps will dot dim that much while it does so. Diesels need good batteries to start well but bad starting isn't necessarily a battery problem, nor is a slow starter. (could be charging or simply bad connections.)
jeremy
BarmyDragon
My Cars:

Post by BarmyDragon »

Sorry bout that forgot to put the details.
Xantia TD 1.9 1996
The problem is mainly as soon as I turn the key in the ignition there is no connection all but the short buzzing in the Glow Plug Relay. The engine starts with no problem when being jumpstarted with another car. The wifes already getting the matches ready [:o)] When the engine is turning over the display lights flicker unless on high rev`s.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Have you had the battery tested? If the car starts OK on a jump, it looks as though the battery is lifeless. Of course - the battery may be sound, but is being flattened overnight by a short.
May I also suggest that before rushing off to a Cit dealer to pay an inflated price, you check availability on the online shops. With A/spares you would have paid around 36 quid for a new relay.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

A buzzing glow plug relay would suggest low battery voltage . . . as Jeremy said, It's not neccesarily the battery itself, could also be the charging system. However, It's easy to get a battery checked. You should also check the condition of the battery terminal connectors - on my XM, I became suspicious of the quality of the connection between the battery pole and the (lead) connector. It wasn't until I had cut the connectors open with a large pair of side cutters that I found that there had been a high resitance connection inside the termination for some time - all the conductors were black and there were signs of internal overheating.
I replaced both connectors with tinned brass camlock types and suddenly my headlights got a whole lot brighter!
Well worth looking into and not expensive (about £5 the pair).
//NiSk
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

You could try checking the earth side of the relay coil as a bad earth might give those sort of symptoms,also check the glow plugs are al good. In the summer the diesels will usually start on three or even two cylinders if the weather is warm enough but come winter even on glow plug out can be too much. Might also be an idea to check the alternaor output, first to see if its charging and second set your meter to AC volts and check theres no significant AC across the battery, if there is the diodes in the alternator are beginning to fail and the AC component can play havoc with the rest of the electrics
________
TX500
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
BarmyDragon
My Cars:

Post by BarmyDragon »

Result: One dead, Flat, Battery. 4 years old so cannot really grumble.
Thanks for ideas and assistance in finding the problem. Will be back again if I cannot find answers for MORE problems with the car. [:D]