Xantia Tailgate Window Seal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Xantia Tailgate Window Seal

Post by ACTIVE8 »

With the recent cold weather, I have seen a friends Xantia hatchback have a problem with the tailgate window seal at the bottom, where it appears the seal has a up, and down appearance to the bottom edge apparently it has done this previously.

So is this a common problem with the seal?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the rear screen is bonded so i would think any rubber is just a fillit,

i cant picture a hatch rear screen set up,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's quite normal it seems for the rubber to ruck up a bit in the cold. My Old V6 and Rattiva suffered from this last winter but touch-wood, Old V6 has not suffered this year... Maybe because the rubber has received lots of polish and other moisturising products this past year...

Sadly, the seal is not replaceable except if you are replacing the glass itself. I've tried to extract one and it just can't be done :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Last winter, the bottom part of the tailgate's window seal lifted on my Xantia, but only at the off-side corner (the nearside may get some protection from the house, as I park the car as close to building as possible). This lifting may have rectified itself over the summer months, or maybe I've just not noticed it. Too much snow to have seen what the seal's doing recently!

The seal does seem to be quite a hard material - was this always the case, or is it hardening with age?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hardens with age I reckon. I've just checked old V6 and on there it is soft so whatever I've applied to it over the summer has helped. Can't check the other two as they're both covered in show still...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Just been out and checked mine before writing this. The seals are in good
condition (touch wood :)) even though the car is exposed to very high and low
temperatures so far (during my ownership +39 ºC and -34 ºC :roll: ).
I have heard about it before but may be it's a batch or prod year bad luck :?
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

This is common yes but nothing to worry about....because....

Mine did this last winter and actually split on the inside lip where it hugs the tailgate panel. I warmed it up and dried it thoroughly then applied black boat sealant i bought from a DIY shop for about £5. This was used to re stick the seal to the tailgate where it had split and after letting it dry and re-applying it because it hadnt taken on thre first attempt it was fixed :wink:

Its been frozen so many times this year and hasnt budged a bit or rippled either...the other side has shown the odd ripple though but as stated, it returns to normal once it heats back up :wink: If that ones gets worse then ill do the same to that :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

This edge of the seal that ripples is an additional part, that sits above the part of the seal that actually seals the tailgate.

The odd thing is this rippling you would have thought, would be an issue when it gets very hot in the middle of summer, therefore it's counter-intuitive.

In the winter it appears to be susceptible to the snow, or even water getting under it then turning to ice, and lifting it, along with the cold temperature making it ripple anyway.

It's like a design fault, that I suppose was not a problem when the vehicles were younger, but might be an age related fault, or did some become a problem for the original purchasers of our cars, and did they get replaced under warranty?
ACTIVA

colski
My Cars:

Post by colski »

Mine is having the exact same problem!
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

colski wrote:Mine is having the exact same problem!
Mines doing the same as well! Did it last winter and was ok during the summer. A friendly windscreen man is going have a go with superglue and then sealant when the weather get better to see if he can carefully stick it back on as Vince said in his post :D

I'll let you know how he gets on.

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Also having had this friend have this problem made me look at mine, and yes it's another one to add to the list of ripplers.
ACTIVA

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Mine has rippled up a bit, it has only done it now the weather has warmed up a bit though and only on a patch about 6" long. Mind you my seal is in a bad way, the surface has gone all rough where its starting to degrade and break down, rubber conditioner has improved the apearance but i will have to keep on top of it over the summer months i think.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
pridz
My Cars:

Post by pridz »

Mine also is having the same problem,when adventually I opened the tailgate the cord that lifts the rear parcel shelf was covered in ice.Lucky really as I wasnt aware of any leaking.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pridz, check the plastic gland nut on the rear wiper spindle is tight. If it's loose, water will run in and accumulate in the drainage channel at the bottom of the window and this drains out and may run down the cords when the tailgate is opened.
Jim