That sinking feeling - facelift C5 Exclusive

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

puddlejumper
My Cars:

That sinking feeling - facelift C5 Exclusive

Post by puddlejumper »

Ever since I stored a lawnmower in the boot overnight, my 2004 facelift C5 Exclusive has sunk at the back after 2 hours of the ignition being switched off. It is really quite bad with the headlights pointing to the sky and prompts some strange reactions from car park attendants who think that the car is possessed as they do their rounds.

Someone has said that the non-return valve in the pump may have gone, but as a replacement pump is an expensive repair, I am hoping someone out there can guide me towards a cheaper remedy. There are no signs of any leaks anywhere and the suspension rises smoothly, if a little slowly as soon as the doors are unlocked, she also rides perfectly. Any suggestions before I decide between a new pump or sell the car?

I love the hydropneumatic suspension and serached hard for this car to get the magic carpet ride back again, but this is really starting to frustrate me.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

IF the problem is in the pump then it will be that the electro valve is either leaking or permanently energised.

It might be worth trying to see if the suspension sinks with no power.

Get the car level then disconnect the battery and leave for a while to see if the suspension still sinks.

If it does it is a leaking electrovalve, if it doesn't it may be a problem with the ECU.

If a leaking electrovalve then it should be possible to use a secondhand pump by swaping the electronic parts between your pump and the secondhand one.

If its the electronic bit then your options are a new pump and coding by a Cit dealer or removing the unit and seeing if BBAREMAN can fix it.

However before doing any of that check that the gaiters around the suspension units are not full of oil when the suspension has sunk a bit, in theory if the system is really oil tight leakage around the suspension units should get back to tank through the gaiters and drains.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
puddlejumper
My Cars:

Post by puddlejumper »

Thanks a lot, I'll see if I can try out the idea of disconnecting the battery to see what happens.

At least it still rises quickly so it isn't the end of the world but I would like to get it sorted.
Puddlejumper
C5 Exclusive 2.0 Petrol Auto