picasso front wheel?? cracking sound

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

picasso front wheel?? cracking sound

Post by deano1970 »

hi,
got a picasso 1.8i. the front off side started making a sort of cracking noise when going over bumbs,and it is now getting louder.....if I push on the suspension when the car is still it does nothing but when driving,specially over speed humps,it sounds really loud now. I have noticed that the spring is lower on that side thatn the passenger side. The garage can't get it in till after christmas. Anyone have any idea what it is? and is it ok to drive until it goes in the garage? It drives fine.just annoying listening to this noise over every speed hump?? cheers.dean
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

One of the end sections of the spring has snapped off, a common problem on modern car's for some reason :?

Make sure that the broken part isn't hanging around where it could move and tear the tyre sidewall, if possible remove the broken part and check that the spring is seated centrally on the bearing plate, if these are OK I suppose you could drive it until a proper repair is carried out (fit a new spring).
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

When our Picasso broke a spring a while back the top came off, and the spring ended up sat on the inner wing.... think we drove it for a while like that before I figured out what was wrong with it, but I wouldn't recommend it!
Richard W
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

could be the droplink gone, common problem on xsaras
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the spring is broken i would get it fixed ASAP as the tail end of what is left of the spring can also end up through the tyre side wall,

citroen did a mod which is a clamped on spring catcher, clamps around the strut and below the lower spring cup, then the top part is a steel band around the bottom spring cup,

regards malcolm
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

Broken springs are quite common on Picasso's but if it has the suspension cups fitted to it it's not always easy to spot a broken spring, especially if all 4 wheels are on the ground ( ie it's easier to spot when on a regular workshop ramp). Does it make any adverse grating sounds when turning the steering wheel? If you can't see anything wrong with the spring it might well be the 'drop link', these can make quite a loud banging sort 'a noise when going over speed bumps (as can worn bottom arm ball joints). If it has got a broken spring i wouldn't drive it to be honest, it really needs fixing straight away.
Music keeps me going.
deano1970
My Cars: citroen C5 estate 58 plate.........2.0 hdi

well really??

Post by deano1970 »

well, got a call from garage tonight.apparently the spring is not broken,the wishbone is fine,they have decided that it is a top strut mount,which apparently isn't a really expensive job...the noise it makes however has got worse and they say they cannot get the part tomorrw because they can only get it from a citroen main dealer. I asked them if it's ok to drive and they said it is, do you think they are right?? not going to use it much but need to use it once or twice??