Optimum revs for BX19 D

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Optimum revs for BX19 D

Post by tomsheppard »

Yippee! for the first time I have a working Tacho[:D]. Five pounds for a sensor (which reads 72 ohms between the centre and one of the outer wires. The third wire is a screen and is not connected) and a couple of filthy hours work and I have access to the engine speed. SO now I can ask, what are the optimum change up speeds for economy and for performance. My aged parent reckons that you just let diesels get on with it and get it into fifth asap but the car doesn't feel happy to be used like that, behaving more like a petrol engine. Any ideas Please?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Congratulations! Mine is currently heat dependent so I guess I'll be looking for a new(ish) sensor sooner or later. My empirical experience with the TGD is:
(1) Economy pretty much the same overall (so long as each change isn't taken up to the redline - though this could get pretty uneconomical too in terms of head gaskets...)
(2) 2000 rpm plus for meaningful torque
(3) Maximum acceleration at about 3000 rpm - reasonable point for changeup in lower gears.
(4) Engine tends to labour at anything below 1500 rpm, unless creeping in traffic in low gears.
David
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thanks, David. I'd go along with that. Flat as a pancake below 2000 and on the cam at 3. I am getting the usual 10 miles per litre at the moment so I can't be getting it all wrong!