xantia ignition stuck

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shadow400

xantia ignition stuck

Post by shadow400 »

I have a 1994 1.9td xantia and the ignition is stuck solid. I have tried moving the steering wheel left right and up and down but to no avail. I tried gently tapping the key but nothing works. I can get a replacement barrel but what concerns me is that i need to turn the key to remove the old barrel. Any help greatly appreciated.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I wouldn't tap the key - it won't take kindly to that treatment for long.

It sounds like the steering lock is sprung pinning the column firmly so
limiting the steering wheel movement but you will need to seesaw the
steering wheel whilst trying to turn the ignition key. You will need to have
the steering lock undone with the key if you want to change the lock barrel
although you can prise up the small shoulder of the lock tube with a bit of
brute force.

Andrew
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The lock pins are probably gummed up with old lubricant that has thickened in the cold weather.

Try warming up the key, or spray in some thin lubricant.
shadow400

Post by shadow400 »

I`ve tried seesawing the wheel even ended up breaking 1 key. There is no hint of movement at all no matter what position the steering wheel. Yes the steering lock is limiting movement.
shadow400

Post by shadow400 »

I sprayed wd40 inside the lock. I give warming it up a try. Only problem the car is stranded 10 miles from home :cry:
hobblerian

Post by hobblerian »

My Dad's C5 had a similar problem, he couldn't turn the key and was stuck at a petrol pump. After applying switch cleaner, plenty of lubrication and 45 minutes of trying it still wouldn't turn. Wasn't until I really pushed the key hard into the lock and tried turning it with my weight still pushing on it turned, just.

When he got home he sharply tapped on the end of the key as if inserting in more with a nylon mallet and that free'd it up. He's ordered a new barrel for his as you don't know how long it'll behave itself for.

Can't vouch for the similarites between the C5 and xantia locks but its still a + key style.
Previous 90H S1 XM 2.1td SD Manual
Current 97P S2 XM 2.1td VSX Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I (or rather my son) had this happen on a 405. Nothing would free it but eventually a cold chisel did...

Have you tried pulling the steering column up and down as well as wiggling it side to side?

It might even be worth loosening the UJ on the bottom of the column to get a bit freer movement in all planes in your attempts to free off the lock.

The cold chisel approach is the last resort...

You might be able to remove the column complete and work on it on a bench or even replace it wholesale...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Without going into specifics (for obvious reasons) it can be removed in situ although not without a replacement barrel being needed.

The metal is not that hard in the lock itself, you should be able to work out what to drill (note: do NOT drill the housing)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

This happened on my daughters 106 last year,funnily enough Ian(hobbler), at the petrol station! well at least it was off the main road...

She called the RAC out and i'd not been there long when he turned up..so I let him sort it!

One,I think allen key, and he took the ignition assembly off the steering column.
Then, put the transponder part,(off the back of the barrel),near the original location,for the immobiliser jobby,which was near the then un plugged bottom of the ignition barrel, ie, the white round plastic bit.
Then the slot in the plastic bit can simply be turned with owt..key,screwdriver etc..

My daughter was too tight to buy another ignition,so I pulled the barrel out in the vice, took all the tumblers out and put it back,so it would turn with any key..
This we conceeded was still quite safe still to would be car thieves as,
a.) When all put back together you obviously can't tell there's no tumblers in it, and it will turn with owt,and,
b.) The car needed the chipped key to start it anyway,so any old key,screwdriver was useless then!

Admins, please feel free to edit this if you so wish,in the interests of car security etc..although as above, a would be thief would still have no joy without the correct,chipped key :twisted:

Dave.

*oops,spider beat me to it!
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
spider

Post by spider »

The 'slot' you refer to is the ignition switch though, that will obviously start the car (assuming transponder is within a few cm of aerial) but the steering lock will remain on.

I did not want to post the methods I've seen used, (and used one myself) but a couple of basic tools would do it anyway (with damage to the key barrel) , there used to be a tool to 'force' it out but that risks damaging the column / housing so it is easier to damage the barrel as you would be changing that anyway.

Can't go into specifics obviously.
Andy.

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Spider,yes mate, the slot is as you say,the ignition switch.

I don't know the setup on a Xant, but on a pug 106, when you take the ignition unit out, the steering lock lug is also attached/an integral part of the unit itself..so the steering lock's binned..you'd then just need the correct chipped key for that car.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
spider

Post by spider »

Oh I know it comes out as a 'unit' with the pin. From memory all PSA are the same in that regard (if you saw a replacement its the whole 'lot' in one piece usually)

Thing is: it should not come out with the screw in place, and after the screw is out it needs turning to position 1/2 , that's the 'anti theft' part, hence everyone saying you need the key to work to remove it.

Come to think of it other cars also have the same thing too.

Best not to post too much specifics though for obvious reasons.
Andy.