Fancy a C6 for £3k?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think I would like one of those blind handbrakes. Mine sees far too much to be healthy.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

LHD??? Do we actually know it's in the UK?

I remember back in 2006 when my Dad wanted a Grand Espace. The shape was still very new and they were still pretty expensive. He came across a 3.5 V6 Initiale in Autotrader for something ridiculous like £4,500 for this 2 year old, £35,000 new, range-topper. Spoke on the phone and seemed quite genuine, then came to the viewing - "The car is currently in Portugal, we took it over on a holiday then flew back, put some money in my bank account and I'll give you the key card and address of where it is".

NO THANKS!
French is best.
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

here is the reply I got :) so I rushed over and did it :) NOT

Good Day,

I wrote you regarding my vehicle CITROEN C6 (only 67000 Miles - got V5) the car it's still for sale. It is in perfect condition inside and outside as well, never been involved in accidents.I never smoke in it and i want to sell it only to a serious person. The car is located in Luton,UK in my garage.I have the full service history, the MOT and tax will expire in June 2011.The price that i'm asking for the car is only £ 3000. Now i am located in Germany my work and i have nobody in United Kingdom that could show you the car, i need to come myself to meet with you and show you the car.
Feew days ago a guy told me that he want to buy the car, so we must meet in Luton/UK. I came to UK because I trusted his word, but when I arrived I called him and no answer the phone was off, so I lost money and precious time on his promise. I don't ask you to send me any money in advance, I just want to see that you are a serious buyer.
I will come only for a serious deal. If you don't want to buy it after you will inspect it, no problem, but I need to be sure that you will be there.
To be sure that you are real and serious, here is what I propose:
1. The service name that we'll use is Western-Union transfers money. You must find the nearest Western-Union agency and you will go there with your best friend or your wife. Your wife or your friend (relative) will be the sender of the money and you will be the receiver in Luton.
2.Your wife or your friend must send £ 3000 to your name in Luton.
Is enough for me too see that I have a interested buyer.
3. Only you can pick up the money from Luton, so this is no risk on your side.You will collect the money from Luton in the same day when we meet.
4. Once the money is sent, you will have to e-mail me the western union papers like a proof that you got them and that you come to meet me.
5. In the same day I will buy the flight ticket and I will e-mail you the scanned ticket.
6. We will meet in Luton and we will finish the deal in the same day.(We will verify the car with a mechanical service and at police too) I will help you to make all papers.
7. Western-Union will charge you to transfer the money(we will deducted that fee from the car price) but if you will not come to Luton to meet me you will lose that money,so here it's my insurance.
If you don't want to buy the car I will pay for your transport. I assure you that you will love this car and you will buy it. It is in perfect conditions.
I repeat: You must understand that you will not send the money to me. You will be the receiver of the money and only you can pick the money from Western-Union in Luton.If you are still interested to make the deal with me please reply me or call my.
My UK phone number is:07591 280698.
Thank you for contacting me and hope you will understand my point of view!
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

The whole idea that this could be an honest seller is destroyed when the words "Western Union" are mentioned.
French is best.
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

:lol: If that's not a scam then what is!
Franklin
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I hope you reported it!

Can anyone explain how the scanned WU slip is misused? I'm curious.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:I hope you reported it!

Can anyone explain how the scanned WU slip is misused? I'm curious.
The money transfer number becomes your ID or proof that you are eligable to collect the money.

So lets say you fall for the above scam, your wife/friend sends £3000 to Luton's WU to be collected by you.
You fax the seller the transfer ID slip to show that you've got £3000 ready and waiting to collect to pay him for the car.
He, being one of Luton's Nigerians/Zimbawean (possibly living over the road from Danielle's parents) scammers, dashes off to WU and collects the £3000 then vanishes off the face of the earth (if only that wasn't figorative).
You think "Damn, I can't get hold of him, fine, I'll go get my money" only to be told that it was collected by you earlier.

You could have some fun and go to Luton, get someone to do the money transfer so you collect it first, then wait for someone to arrive to collect your money and accost them. Be prepared to lose a limb or two though.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hmmmm, wonder why he hasn't sold it yet then, it must be the deal of the
Century. Especially as it is in perfect conditions. :? :roll:

Andrew
CGATCX25GTITURBO
My Cars:

seems the number is on the document and you can just use it to collect the cash anywhere :)
Neil aka CGAT
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Looks like the ad's been pulled
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CGATCX25GTITURBO
My Cars:

the ad's pulled cos i said i would buy it and sent him proof of my money order :)
Neil aka CGAT
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

So have you tried calling him back on that number yet then Neil?

If your German is up to it, maybe you could also ask him some Citroen specific
queries about this quite unusual car... :roll:

Andrew
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Xac wrote:You could have some fun and go to Luton, get someone to do the money transfer so you collect it first, then wait for someone to arrive to collect your money and accost them.
Ah; now I understand it a little more. First in, best dressed when it comes to collecting the dosh. Had thought there was more sophistimacation about it.

I wouldn't mind "accosting" the thief-intendant. Been ages since I had a decent blue.
XMX

Post by XMX »

Citroening wrote::lol: If that's not a scam then what is!
As /\ , Exactly as we all expected !
XMX wrote:.............................
I will see what response I get and give an update !..........
/\ I'm still waiting for a reply, then I'll send them a reply that I've changed mind about wanting to view or even purchasing the vehicle and add a little note at the end of the E-Mail asking them what's the weather like in Nigeria you scamming Bar-steward !

:lol:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's an example of a VW Polo I once replied to which I reported to Auto-trader after the dialogue, the Ad was promptly pulled within an hour of reporting it, also note that they linked the Ad. with some sort of Bull$hite E-Bay Buyer Protection Plan as a third party :roll: :!:
XMX Reply to the to the Auto-trader Ad via the E-Mail link wrote:Hi Samantha.
Please give your address details as I also live in Derby (I can see that your also from Derby from the phone code) so that I can view your car I have cash available immediately if I like the Car I will buy it on the spot with CASH counted out in front of you !
Thanks
The E-Mail reply I got by the Seller/Advertiser:-
Samantha Weber wrote:At the moment I'm stationed at Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps (QARANC) making final preparations before deploying to Afghanistan . The vehicle is already at the shipping company, crated and ready to go. I had another customer who said it will buy and after I made all the necessary arrangements in advance and paid for all shipping & handling fees, changed his mind because didn't have all the money. Look!!! This is why I need to ship it since all transportation charges have already been paid by me. Shipping may take anywhere between 1-2 business days depending on the destination.. All documents you need for ownership, loog book , manuals and bill of sale will be provided along with the vehicle.

For the payment I would like to use eBay's Buyer Protection Plan as a third party. They will keep your money into a protection account until you get the vehicle and will release it to me after inspection period is over and you agree to keep the vehicle. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the vehicle before committing to buy and to eliminate any concerns you will have 3 days to inspect the vehicle. If you decide not to keep it eBay will refund you the money, no questions asked, and shipping back will be my concern. I think this is more than fair for both of us.

I'll start the official procedure, and eBay will contact you about this. If you are interested in buying it just mail me back with:
- Your Full Name and eBay user ID (optional) - Required by eBay (You'll receive important guidelines + instructions from them.)
- Your Shipping Address and Phone Number - Required by the Shipping company (They will call you with delivery/pickup instructions 1 day ahead so you can communicate what time schedule work best for your to receive the vehicle)

Again I want to point out that because I am going to Afghanistan this sale is my top priority and I am after a fast transaction, with no delays. That is why I decided to lower the price, to avoid wasting time with negotiations and find a buyer as soon as possible.
Army nurse Corporal : Samantha Weber
XMX Reply to the above Samantha Weber E-Mail wrote: When I did the Auto-trader search for a POLO vehicle the distance from where you are SUPPOSING LOCATED to where I live states one mile away !
That's WHY I STATED CASH AFTER VIEWING the car first, DO you think were stupid of these scams here in England !

Obviously YOU DON'T understand English probably because your from the African continent and are probably a NIGERIAN
so why waste money on Auto-trader you Scamming BAR-$TEWARD and get a proper JOB ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

BTW it's illegal to use the Auto-trader photo's for this scamming purpose and I WILL be reporting you to Auto-trader and E-Bay/Paypal !

GOOD BYE YOU SCAMMER ! ! !
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So there you have it. If it looks 'too good to be true' it probably is !
You've all been warned now :missile:

:lol:

XMX
Last edited by XMX on 21 Dec 2010, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

^ Haha, they were told!!!

I wonder do these scammers have much success? Surely a "too good to be true" price is always dismissed when elaborate money transfers come into the equation??
French is best.